How do I use computer CDR's in my CD recorder? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2006, 09:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How do I use computer CDR's in my CD recorder?

Hi,

I own a Harmon Kardon CDR20 CD recorder. It only works with CDR blanks that are made specifically for use with CD recorders.

The problem I have is that the availability of such blanks is fast drying up. I would like to use the freely available CDR blanks that work with computers if this is possible.

I assume that the recorder has some software that makes it reject the computer blanks. Does anyone know how to achieve the desired outcome?

Many thanks,

Mark
Old 10th September 2006, 09:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

CD recorder reads the CDR bookmark. If the royalties are payed, the software will accept it as a valid CDR for Audio.

You can try searching the web for bookmaking, or change the bookmark. I assume that the same process is required as with changing the bookmark from DVD -R to DVD +R. I am not sure if there’s software which allows CDR to CDR for Audio bookmark change, but I can’t see why not….

Good luck,

Boky
Old 12th September 2006, 02:43 PM   #3
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member

Default Re: How do I use computer CDR's in my CD recorder?

Quote:
I assume that the recorder has some software that makes it reject the computer blanks.
Correct. This is an early form of DRM.

Audio blanks are not more expensive because they cost more to produce, or are higher quality than computer blanks ; it's simply that the "audio" recorders were designed to only accept "audio" blanks, which can then be sold at a higher price, so the consumer is properly exploited.

I'd suggest buying an "audio" CD-RW and record to it using your recorder, then just copy it to a normal CD-rom with a computer.

Or directly record to the computer, using your cd-burner as an analog to digital converter and a spdif cable to the digital input in your computer.
Old 14th September 2006, 07:18 AM   #4
clem_o is offline clem_o  Philippines
diyAudio Member

On the first gen Philips recorder, there was a little trick that could be used - something about putting in an audio blank, aloowing the machine to register it, then manually forcing the tray to open then inserting a computer cd-r blank. But I think they solved that 'bug' in the next iteration..

Cheers
Old 14th September 2006, 08:30 AM   #5
es44 is offline es44  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clem_o
On the first gen Philips recorder, there was a little trick that could be used - something about putting in an audio blank, aloowing the machine to register it, then manually forcing the tray to open then inserting a computer cd-r blank. But I think they solved that 'bug' in the next iteration..

Cheers
And it worked fine. But i got tired of this and found a chip from:

http://www.modchip.it/shop/net-shop....tegoria&dx=NCD

and now my cdr 870 works like a charm. I use 4X cd-rw's for it now, hi-speed one's won't be recognized.

Maybe something similar can be found for the HK. It took me a looong time to find this chip, searching Google with various combinations of search-words.

Happy hunting
Cheers
Ebbe
Old 15th September 2006, 09:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi there people,

Thanks for the tips. I tried the chip mod place you suggested. Unfortunately they only have chips for Philips players.

Now, I wouldn't mind trying the "force the draw open" trick, but how exactly do you force a draw without breaking it?

If that doesn't work, it looks like I may have some difficulty sourcing CDR audio media in the future.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 15th September 2006, 09:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Is there any reason you don't wish to just use a computer and a CD writer to do the task? I doubt if a DA-AD process will be any better than a 'direct digital' copy, particularly if done with a good reader and software...

Cheers!
Old 15th September 2006, 12:52 PM   #8
es44 is offline es44  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clem_o
Is there any reason you don't wish to just use a computer and a CD writer to do the task? I doubt if a DA-AD process will be any better than a 'direct digital' copy, particularly if done with a good reader and software...

Cheers!
I can only speak for my self, but i use it for recording certain things from the local radio in my area. There are sometimes things i'd like to conserve for the future

And for Gretsch6136: Yes i know that the Italian site is for Philips drives, but i thought maybe it was possible to find something similar.
But i must admit, that after searching a bit for your specific model it is quite dissapointing, at least i couldn't find anything

Maybe you can find a local "hacker" to read the firmware and alter it ?

Best of luck to you
Old 15th September 2006, 11:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Clemo,

A computer is inconvenient for archiving vinyl and other analog sources.

Also, with a CD recorder there is no file compression or file format conversion to alter the sound of the original. Also the original info is not saved to a hard disk and then re-read to be burned. It is simply a direct copy of the digital data, therefore I believe it to be a superior method, avoiding the chance of jitter and errors being introduced.

I will look into the availability of a local hacker!

Cheers,

Mark
Old 16th September 2006, 12:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

I don't think I can agree that a recorder will not introduce jitter - the transport alone needs to extract the data off the disk, and the writer does have to modulate the laser to write onto the blank. All very iffy, in my opinion.

But, I guess from that viewpoint extraction to the HDD and writing it out is pretty much the same process. I will be the first to admit that there is always a bit of degradation in either process, something that can in fact be heard comparing original cd to that of the copy (and uh-oh, I hope I don't get a deludge of flames from people saying 'nay'!!) :-)

I certainly hope you can find someone to get the job done - cd-audio blanks are indeed getting to be hard to find...

Cheers,

Clem

ps: if you do copy an audio cd to the HDD, as long as you save it as a WAV it should be pretty much the same bit stream as the CD - not unless your software has 'automatic features' enabled - such as silence removal, etc - things that you can turn off.

Hide this!Advertise here!