Help me mod Pioneer PD-S505/605

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my player to decent standalone player but I bought it primarily for transport/DAC use(I don't own no DAC yet!) I have no education in electrics, but I have some previous experience, tweaking my Philips 721 CDP and building WNA headamp.

My basic strategy is:

1. Upgrade power section with pretty toroid, Caps....
2. Clock it with KwakClock
3. For analog section swap the NJM4558 with some AD826 ...

I already changed power cord, and am in process of making the case stronger and resonant proof...

I found the free scheme for download:

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/22612/Pioneer_pd-s605.html
(scroll the page down a bit for the Download link)

I have no clue what toroid to look for. Would it be better to use two smaller ones etc. How to regulate etc.

Sorry for bad English

Here is the pic of the cable I made for CDP :D

Attachments

• power-cable.jpg
    power-cable.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,002
Thanks for the reply,

In fact I meant I’m clueless about something else. I would not worry if one could not drop in place of old transformer since there is LOTS of space for the bigger one. I was planning to get one of my local manufacturers: www.trafomatic.com

What I wonder is if its better to get one bigger – perhaps 50 or 80VA for both digital and audio or leave the old one in place for digital and use new one just for audio section (or vice versa). I just know I need 230Vprimary but I don’t know what to look for in secondary in both cases???

Ryssen said:
On my PDS904 I changed the regulators for better ones..:)

Which ones?

This is actually leading me that if I rebuild the existing power supply with the better parts, mayby put stronger transformer could do good enough, rather than make new one/two separate for audio/digital/drive? Is the original design good enough so it will do just with better parts
I mean, I now that is cheaper and I am on tight budget, but which path to choose: More money in power section or Clock or analog??? :scratch2:

Attachments

• powers-sch.jpg
    powers-sch.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 918
I belive that would be for the display.

The boards look quite similar to those I ripped out of my 904 and from what I recall this is the voltages required:

The Mcu + Display wanted +/-5V and 5V AC and 25V DC

The data proccessing chips used +/-5V. And the Servos where driven from +/- 9V

Also a reset pulse generator was needed to make the player start as the original regulator chip (wich i removed) had that function built in.

Here is what I did:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=794910#post794910

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.