Fitting clock question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I want to put a XO3 into my Kenwood DP-X9010, in order to reduce jitter.
Because at the moment the current clock is to shaky. My Marantz DAC has trouble with the sp/dif signal.
When I look at the schematics of the Kenwood, I notice two things.
The clock is connected to pin 53 of the IC10 signal processor over a 100Ohm resistor with a voltage of 2.4 on pin 53 of IC10. Does this mean that the resistor lowers the voltage from 5 to 2.4?
And why is IC2 on the digital output board fed with the clocksignal?
If I want to hook up the Tentclock, where would yoy guys/girls advice me to do this? My thoughts are to cut the trace between point 4 on IC11(2/6) and point 5 on IC11(3/6) and hook up the new clock feed there. This in due to the fact that IC2(3.6) is probably needed for a clock division in order to feed IC2 on the digital output board.
What are your thoughts on these assumptions?
Thanks and regards,
Ramon

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DARREL wrote:

If I want to hook up the Tentclock, where would yoy guys/girls advice me to do this? My thoughts are to cut the trace between point 4 on IC11(2/6) and point 5 on IC11(3/6) and hook up the new clock feed there. This in due to the fact that IC2(3.6) is probably needed for a clock division in order to feed IC2 on the digital output board.

If you do your way,the player may not operate properly.Look again at clock circuit ( IC11) comprising (1/6)inverter and associated parts,master clk signal 16.9mhz.comes out of pin2 to (2/6) to 100 ohm resistor and end up at pin53 of IC10.It is also inverted again (3/6) before going to IC2 (synchronising) for reclocking data stream and out to optical spdif interface.

So the correct point to insert your new clock signal is pin3 of (2/6)inverter.Cut trace between pin2 and pin3 IC11.
:smash:

100R resistor is a series termination, the XO3 clock output already has series termination.. 2.4V is the mean DC value of a 5V clock signal.. I'd suggest removing that 100R resistor and connecting the XO3 output directly to pin 53 on IC10.. of course deactivate the original clock by tying pin 1 of IC11(1/6) to ground - solder bridge across that cap.. the S/PDIF signal is reclocked by XO3, replacing the reclocking flipflops of the player.. pick the S/PDIF signal from pin 3 at the connector CN4..

If you use it as transport only through coax I would connect the clock directly to IC2 (1/2) and the (C) clock input. Then cut of the trace going out of pin 6 on IC11, wire the broken trace to pin 3 on IC 11 and ofcourse cut off the old clock including the trace going out of pin 2 on IC11.

I would however say that the existing clock is not so bad that your dac should have problems locking, if thats the case you may have issues bigger then this clock to deal with first.

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies!!!
I connected a kwak 7 clock for testing purposes, in order to assess the possible skipping sound comming from my dac.
I cut trace 4/5 on IC11 (3/6). This worked. I cannot bypass IC11 (3/6) because it is used to clockfeed the IC2.

The skipping sound is now lesser but still present.
I am awaiting the XO3 and hope a bypass of both clock and digital output IC2 will solve the problem.

What bugs me is that all other players/transports (marantz cd4000, philips cd882, etc) work fine on my dac. And the Kenwood transport works fine on two other dacs of friends of mine. So problem is pretty strange.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.