Kenwood DP-X9010 Transport issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have recently bought a Kenwood DP-X9010 transport for use with my Marantz CD-7. It worked fine when in use by the seller. I hooked it up to my CD-7 and the signal is locked, the disc reads (even very bad TOC discs are read) and music is played (not distorted). BUT, there is an extra noise comming from the speakers (DAC) in the form of a crackling/skipping noise (laser is actually in very good order, so no laser skipping, just sounds like it).

This problem occurs on both toslink and coax.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ramon

Is the Kenwood transport using Sony laser mechanism?It could be tracking problem,try other cd disc.May have to live with it.This is a "known" fault even on Sony sacd players.Then again since this is a used unit the laser has aged and may be going out.

I have one of these units. This unit has an adjustable laser. The laser is preset to a low output - one of the reasons that they rarely give-up. It will read most discs but sometimes it will present a fault like you describe. Its a real fiddle to adjust the output, you need to adjust a little pot at the base of the laser. You will likely need a mirror to find the pot first. I think from memory that is on the tray centre side of the laser. It needs to be something the right size -
be careful as it will be easy to damage. Try to adjust it in increments and use a disc which definitely sounds bad. This may sort your problem. Before this..I know its obvious, but have you tried cleaning the laser. Once you get it going you should think about clock/PS mods - it realy makes a difference to these machines.

I have the 9010 here and it sounds very different compared to other players/transports.

Sound is very liquid but edges seem to be rounded off and perhaps details / texture lost ??? :confused:

The unit has already Black Gates in the PSU.

I would like to hear opinions from 9010 owners.
Thanks.

Bernhard said:
I have the 9010 here and it sounds very different compared to other players/transports.

Sound is very liquid but edges seem to be rounded off and perhaps details / texture lost ??? :confused:
Agreed with you opinion. I have installed a new XO clock in my 9010. Treble improved a bit. This machine has typical Sony sound. The bottom end is much heavier than other machines. I prefer my moded Marantz cd-53 mkii as a transport. I guess this is due to the decoder chip made by sony

Bernhard said:

The unit has already Black Gates in the PSU.
I think yours has been moded by the previous owner. No BG at all among the original caps.

Cheers

Does anyone have any more info on how to mod that Sony laser for use in these machines? I have one of these transports sat on the shelf here and it's useless. The laser is completely shot and I cannot source a replacement anywhere.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Lee.

Thomo said:
Does anyone have any more info on how to mod that Sony laser for use in these machines? I have one of these transports sat on the shelf here and it's useless. The laser is completely shot and I cannot source a replacement anywhere.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Lee.

That 9010 belongs to a friend and had reading problems, I just replaced the whole transport/loader assembly with that of a DP8020 which now works perfect.

quantran said:

Agreed with you opinion. I have installed a new XO clock in my 9010. Treble improved a bit. This machine has typical Sony sound. The bottom end is much heavier than other machines. I prefer my moded Marantz cd-53 mkii as a transport. I guess this is due to the decoder chip made by sony

I think yours has been moded by the previous owner. No BG at all among the original caps.

Cheers

I tried Sony X3000ES top loader and 22?ES and both do not have that rounded sound.

Kenwood DP8020 sounded like 9010 but worse.

Hi Bernhard

Now I thinking about the 9010 CD transport. I can get it ca 120Euros but I hesitate to buy it. I looking for any machine with very good, precision and metal mechanism to use it as a transport. Next I intend to built good DAC to fit it by I2S. What do you think: it is good idea to use as a transport the heavy 9010 or not? I am worry that if I use the 9010 as a transport I will get rounded sound as written earlier in this thread.
And second question: the 8020 transport is the same as 9010 or not? They use the same laser pickup?

Many thanks for your opinion.

JKoch

Kenwood DP9010 mods

Hi JKoch,

The clock and power supply I fitted were sourced from NetAudio. They do a range of clocks and power supplies, I fitted the best they had. I'd recommend them, good product and a nice guy to deal with. There is quite a few things about them on the internet. I also fitted a IEC socket so that I can play with power cords. The basic transport has quite a solid sound. Its not sharp - perhaps that what another user meant by rounded, although I would say that its quite detailed. I imagine it also depends on the dac and support you use. I've been using it with a chord 64 dac, which is a nice combination. The clock/ps change comprehensively cleaned up the sound, with more detail, extended treble, better timing and more 'shape' to the already deep bass. Someone else noted that these players have a heavy bass, I agree completely with this. I now have a 861se wadia and the kenwood still has more bass - just not as detailed. I would strongly recomend fitting the best of the netaudio power supplies. It definitely adds better timing - I was sent another unit to start with to get me going but the upgrade was worth it. It added real snap and flow to the music. Hope this helps.

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.