Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2006, 12:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Kenwood DP-X9010 Transport issues

Hi all,

I have recently bought a Kenwood DP-X9010 transport for use with my Marantz CD-7. It worked fine when in use by the seller. I hooked it up to my CD-7 and the signal is locked, the disc reads (even very bad TOC discs are read) and music is played (not distorted). BUT, there is an extra noise comming from the speakers (DAC) in the form of a crackling/skipping noise (laser is actually in very good order, so no laser skipping, just sounds like it).

This problem occurs on both toslink and coax.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ramon
Old 3rd September 2006, 05:15 AM   #2
singa is offline singa  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to singa Send a message via MSN to singa Send a message via Yahoo to singa
Is the Kenwood transport using Sony laser mechanism?It could be tracking problem,try other cd disc.May have to live with it.This is a "known" fault even on Sony sacd players.Then again since this is a used unit the laser has aged and may be going out.
Old 3rd September 2006, 11:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Has problem with al the discs.
But it even reads all the dirty discs. So laser is not the problem.
Old 8th March 2007, 05:27 PM   #4
smutley is offline smutley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have one of these units. This unit has an adjustable laser. The laser is preset to a low output - one of the reasons that they rarely give-up. It will read most discs but sometimes it will present a fault like you describe. Its a real fiddle to adjust the output, you need to adjust a little pot at the base of the laser. You will likely need a mirror to find the pot first. I think from memory that is on the tray centre side of the laser. It needs to be something the right size -
be careful as it will be easy to damage. Try to adjust it in increments and use a disc which definitely sounds bad. This may sort your problem. Before this..I know its obvious, but have you tried cleaning the laser. Once you get it going you should think about clock/PS mods - it realy makes a difference to these machines.
Old 9th March 2007, 08:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi, I would first try adjust tracking and focus gain and offset etc. then turn up laser power pot on laser clockwise in smallest possible steps.
Did that for a friend who had the same problem.
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:48 AM   #6
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi guys. I know this is an old thread but does anyone know which model of laser is used in this please?

Lee.
Old 23rd April 2007, 04:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to quantran Send a message via MSN to quantran Send a message via Yahoo to quantran
The laser unit seems to be custom made for Kenwood based on Sony KSS152. The body is similar to KSS152 but the cable is different.

KSS152 can be fitted with some modification as I have seen but don't ask me how.

You can see part # in these photos

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1161513442

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1161513337
Old 13th August 2007, 05:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have the 9010 here and it sounds very different compared to other players/transports.

Sound is very liquid but edges seem to be rounded off and perhaps details / texture lost ???

The unit has already Black Gates in the PSU.

I would like to hear opinions from 9010 owners.
Thanks.
Old 16th August 2007, 03:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to quantran Send a message via MSN to quantran Send a message via Yahoo to quantran
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernhard
I have the 9010 here and it sounds very different compared to other players/transports.

Sound is very liquid but edges seem to be rounded off and perhaps details / texture lost ???
Agreed with you opinion. I have installed a new XO clock in my 9010. Treble improved a bit. This machine has typical Sony sound. The bottom end is much heavier than other machines. I prefer my moded Marantz cd-53 mkii as a transport. I guess this is due to the decoder chip made by sony

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernhard

The unit has already Black Gates in the PSU.
I think yours has been moded by the previous owner. No BG at all among the original caps.

Cheers
Old 16th August 2007, 03:41 PM   #10
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have any more info on how to mod that Sony laser for use in these machines? I have one of these transports sat on the shelf here and it's useless. The laser is completely shot and I cannot source a replacement anywhere.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Lee.

Hide this!Advertise here!