CD mastering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dag Jan,

I have been doing this, building my system over the years and still not where I want it to be.

After two low-end (~300 euro) PC-based ADC/DAC boxes (with mods) I am now going to buy the Tascam DV-RA1000 DVD recorder, if only to make recording from the big turntable in the living room easier.

I also looked into mid-end solid state recorders (Tascam, Fostex) but rejected them as their analogue input circuits and ADCs are built to a dreadful standard, only suitable for interviews and low-end movie stuff.

I have no illusions about the DV-RA1000 being better than mid-fi at the circuit level, but at least it is a big box with room for improvement, improvement that probably only requires ripping out most of the circuits feeding the ADC.

Just some observations:

Nearly all 1-chip ADCs have primitive half-band AA filters. Some have wide-band stop-band rejection not exceeding 70dB (!).

Record at 88.2kHz and do the downsampling after all processing in the DAW, preferrably using a downsampler of known high quality (I wrote my own routines in Matlab and now can trade aliasing versus impulse response).

If you have many dull LPs (I do), then use a really good analogue EQ between phonostage and ADC. Or modify a phonostage with a variable RIAA and use this to tweak treble.

Hi Jan

You might want to check out this site Link
It's everything you ever wanted to know about mastering sample rate, bit depht lots of go stuff. I do all my mastering with Pro Tools and Bias Peak Pro. I personally don't down sample I just record everything @ 24bit

Regards,

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.