spdif to usb interface, why not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all...
i'm still searching infos about building a DAC, and i've seen a lot of new DAC IC's(very nice and with great characteristics...) that have the direct interface to usb; easy and simple!but if I want to use my spdif out?that's what i was thinking...so i've had the idea of an spdif to usb interface, so we can use both sources(pc and cd) using just 2 ic's, but i still can't find anything...
anyone has ideas?what do you think?can we do something?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is that current Creative outboard box true true true 24 bit now?
ie does it convert the data to 16 bit to process it?

There were complaints about other Creative products along these lines.

Anyone know of any reviews to link to that discuss the sound quality from an audiophile/ recording quality perspective?

... or just buy one of these: http://industrialcomponent.com/maudio/us99130.html

" ... Digital I/O lets you transfer pristine audio between your computer and other devices such as MiniDisc and DAT. The digital output can deliver AC-3 and DTS from your computer to an external decoder such as a surround receiver. And the bus-powered design allows you play and record virtually anywhere your laptop can go. ..."

Bi-directional 24 bit Toslink and SPDIF to USB, Mac or PC ... and little or no cpu power supply noise problems using the Toslink or Coax SPDIF, unlike the PCI cards above.

Disclosure: I work for IndustrialComponent.com (an M-Audio distributor) ... and we throw in a short USB cable with RF noise filter @ no extra cost ...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Maudio stuff is pretty good IMHO. Is there a similar product from MAudio that aspires to sound even better than this model?

Actually I know MAudio has lots of boxes, my point is what the next step up in sound quality is, but I don't need lots of features...

Or better, the simplest box that has the best quality sound that MAudio is capable of ;)

looking good?

" ... or this one: http://www.soundblaster.com/product...05&product=9103 ..."

Actually those SoundBlaster USB specs look pretty good!

But!!?? ... apparently it is NOT Apple Mac compatable :confused: :bigeyes: :mad: :bawling: ...

This is important ... especally when you try to sell it on eBay next year when you upgrade to something better ... Apple Mac compatible = Linux compatible = Unix compatible = Windows Vista compatible = just about everything compatable ... (Windows only = not!)

yeah, i've seen that...but i can't understand if i can use it to interface spdif to analog out, and if it's possible without a microcontroller!
i've read about people who tried to obtain analog out from spdif without any result...why??:bawling:
theoretically we can also obtain usb from spdif...just take a look at the block diagram of the device in the datasheet...

ps that oxsemi ic is wonderful...but still with a micro...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.