Need a Quad 2-input AND gate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...ought to be simple, right? I have what is labled a Mitsubishi M53200P 14-pin DIP IC, running on a 5V supply. Seems as if this chip is intermittent, so I went to get a replacement. Holy-Moley! I haven't done anything with digital in years, and there's a zillion different chips that fit this basic description. Why I thought I could just order up a simple 7408 IC is beyond me...I must have been nuts.:cannotbe:

Can anyone tell me what I can get from Digikey that will fit my needs?:smash:

If the MC53200 is an ordinary TTL or CMOS chip, and the pin-out matches the 7408, then either a 74HC08 (or a 74HCT08 if it's being driven from TTL) should do the job.

If the MC53200 is ECL then you have no chance!

(I looked for the Mitsubishi chip on Google but nothing was found, so I have no idea what technology the original part is).

EchoWars said:
...ought to be simple, right? I have what is labled a Mitsubishi M53200P 14-pin DIP IC, running on a 5V supply. Seems as if this chip is intermittent, so I went to get a replacement.

Hi Echowars
If you were able to discover that this chip is intermittent, can we assume you have knowledge of its pinouts and circuit configuration. That would help enormously in finding a suitable replacement. My Google search suggested a NAND gate but no datasheet.
What is it in? Do you have access to a service manual?
Any information you can provide may help.
Cheers
Rob

Oh poo...

The page with a block diagram shows a quad 2-input AND gate, but the schematic says it's a NAND gate.

Anyway, the pinout matches that of a Philips 74HC00 I found...

I also just found a bad dual quad-input NAND gate. Man...I oughta replace all these old things...

Ouroboros said:
Are you sure it's a dual 4-input gate? An earlier poster said it was an equivalent to a 7400 which is a Quad 2-input NAND gate.
I've got more than one bad part...one is a quad dual input NAND, and the other a dual 4-input NAND.

rpapps said:
Yeah, I figured out the number, but I cannot find one at Digikey. I must order from them for a variety of reasons (mainly due to speed), so I was hoping the 'HC' devices would do the job OK.

Well, it turns out that Digikey DOES carry all the parts I need in the 'HCT' style, they just don't show up in the catalog. I'm using Texas Instruments devices to replace these old Mitsubishi chips.

The only other concern is the 5V supply, which is running close to the 5.5V limit of the HCT devices. I'm modifying the supply to make it adjustable with a Bourns trimpot, so I can get it right at 5V (it's a very simple affair).

Believe it or not, all this fuss is for an old Sony PS-8750 turntable. It has the most complex speed control I've ever seen, but when it's working it's very accurate.

The last part, which seems to be OK, is this MSM5576 divider. Is this an oddball part? Pin 11 divides by 4096 for an output of 960Hz, and Pin 13 divides by 16384 for an output of 240Hz.

Probably a one-off sort of deal here...or something which has disappeared through the years.

BTW, I really appreciate the help. Looks like I'll have this thing running in a few days.:D

Attachments

• sony_xtal.jpg
    sony_xtal.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 139
Well, the chips came in today. Pulled the old ones, soldered in the machined sockets, and installed the new HCT logic chips.

No go...they oscillate freely. Stuck the old IC's back in, and I'm back to square one...intermittent operation.

Any ideas? I've found a few places that sell old 7400N, 7410N, and 7420N logic IC's. Perhaps these are what I need? I thought for sure that there'd be a modern equivalent to those old IC's...

Have you tried Sony?
They may still have the original parts but the prices may be startling. If you've got the manual, look up the Sony part numbers and give them a call.
Oh, and here's a little bed time reading for you.
Cheers
Rob

Attachments

• an-368.pdf
    83.2 KB · Views: 59
Sony says 'NLA'. PartStore has them for $12 and up for each chip. I refuse.

I may have found a place online that has NOS of original 7400 series devices. Still, I can't understand why this would be so hard...finding a usable modern part to directly replace old 7400 devices ought to be no big deal...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.