Multichannel DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You'll have to excuse me, as I'm still a little new at this (so if I say something silly, feel free to whack me on the head). But I'm looking to build a 6 channel DAC that will take (probably) raw PCM in and give me 4/6/8 channels out.

I'll say right up front that the specific application I have in mind doesn't really involve a heck of a lot of actual audio. Here's what I mean: what I'm looking to do is encode data onto an audio track of a specially mastered DVD. When played back that data is naturally going to be in sync with the video on the dvd (as well as possibly another audio track for actual listening). What I'm looking to get are a number of independant data signals off of a dvd (in sync with the video) that can be processed for other applications. One could do anything from controlling atmospheric lighting to wiring them into "zap" boxes under your couch that could give you a jolt at the precise moment that the monster jumps out at you.

I searched through the forum for a while looking for a similar project, but I didn't find much (did find quite a bit of useful info on audio encoding in DVD's - thanks hifiZen - however).

In any case, back to the topic at hand... I was wondering if I could use a CS8414 or a CS8415a plus a WM8746 in a DAC design similar to the much spoken of
Project 85 and get any such decent result (PCM in 6 channels out)?

Or do I not have the faintest what I'm talking about (I very well might not)?

Cheers,
-C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.