Effective Audio Clock from Singapore - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2006, 02:30 AM   #1
Ruach is offline Ruach  Singapore
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Default Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Hi guys,

Let me state upfront that I am not doing a "Burson" here. I am not the designer/seller of the EA Clock but I know the person. He is also the Singapore distributor for Tent Labs products. Guido Tent can attest to this and lastly, I do not profit from his business operations.

James Soh, the designer and owner of Effective Audio has been servicing Singapore's modding needs for a few years now. His earlier clock, the Effective Audio Premium Clock was based on a simple TL431 and a transistor.

In the latest revision, Effective Audio Clock II , James uses a a super regulator to provide clean 5V power supply to the XO oscillator and based on what I know about super regulators, they are much quieter compared to a shunt-regulated power supply used in the Tent X03.

Since the performance of the XO oscillator depends a great deal on the quietness of the power supply, technically, the Effective Audio Clock II should outperform the Tent X03.

For your reading pleasure

http://www.effectiveaudiomod.com/Pro...k_products.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clock_eam_2.jpg (65.5 KB, 896 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 02:34 AM   #2
Ruach is offline Ruach  Singapore
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
The super regulator on board the Effective Audio Clock II is detachable to be used as replacement for any 7805 or 78xx voltage regulators (have to tweak the voltage divider though).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ea_ult_reg.jpg (47.6 KB, 828 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 11:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Eindhoven
Default Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruach
Hi guys,

Let me state upfront that I am not doing a "Burson" here. I am not the designer/seller of the EA Clock but I know the person. He is also the Singapore distributor for Tent Labs products. Guido Tent can attest to this and lastly, I do not profit from his business operations.

James Soh, the designer and owner of Effective Audio has been servicing Singapore's modding needs for a few years now. His earlier clock, the Effective Audio Premium Clock was based on a simple TL431 and a transistor.

In the latest revision, Effective Audio Clock II , James uses a a super regulator to provide clean 5V power supply to the XO oscillator and based on what I know about super regulators, they are much quieter compared to a shunt-regulated power supply used in the Tent X03.

Since the performance of the XO oscillator depends a great deal on the quietness of the power supply, technically, the Effective Audio Clock II should outperform the Tent X03.

For your reading pleasure

http://www.effectiveaudiomod.com/Pro...k_products.htm

the power supply on Tentlabs XO2/3 boards is speced at 5 nV/SqrrtHz with LF noise corner at about 10Hz

If anyone can supply the output noise specs of the "super" regulator, we have our answer.

best
__________________
Guido Tent
www.Tentlabs.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: .
Default Re: Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Quote:
Originally posted by Guido Tent
the power supply on Tentlabs XO2/3 boards is speced at 5 nV/SqrrtHz with LF noise corner at about 10Hz
Is that guaranteed performance or potential performance? Your product specifications often include weasel words like potential. Just curious.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 01:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Eindhoven
Default Re: Re: Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulas


Is that guaranteed performance or potential performance? Your product specifications often include weasel words like potential. Just curious.

Like I wrote, it is a specification.
__________________
Guido Tent
www.Tentlabs.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 08:50 AM   #6
Ruach is offline Ruach  Singapore
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Was the XO3 powered by the XO Supply when you were measure the noise performance?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 08:53 AM   #7
Ruach is offline Ruach  Singapore
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Correct me if I am wrong. Super regulators shoud be much quieter than shunt-regulated power supplies, right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 02:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Eindhoven
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruach
Correct me if I am wrong. Super regulators shoud be much quieter than shunt-regulated power supplies, right?

why ? because they are called super ?

best
__________________
Guido Tent
www.Tentlabs.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 02:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Eindhoven
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruach
Was the XO3 powered by the XO Supply when you were measure the noise performance?

Yes, but the output noise is dominated by the regulator itself

best
__________________
Guido Tent
www.Tentlabs.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 07:22 PM   #10
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: .
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Quote:
Originally posted by Guido Tent
Like I wrote, it is a specification.
I’m sorry, but that is still not clear. Is the specification:

1) The design goal of the power supply, or
2) The ‘potential’ performance of the power supply, or
3) The guaranteed performance of the power supply.

Please just answer 1, 2, or 3.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
car audio prices in singapore/malaysia jababa Car Audio 3 26th September 2014 06:27 AM
Audio to take from Singapore? jan.didden Everything Else 7 5th August 2006 12:32 PM
audio shops in singapore noodle_snacks Multi-Way 1 16th May 2006 08:45 AM
Hi-End Audio exhibitions in Singapore and the US. ashok Everything Else 0 7th April 2004 10:09 AM
DIY audio event - Singapore January 10th EchiDna Parts 3 4th January 2004 03:40 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:36 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2