Effective Audio Clock from Singapore - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2006, 02:30 AM   #1
Ruach is offline Ruach  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Hi guys,

Let me state upfront that I am not doing a "Burson" here. I am not the designer/seller of the EA Clock but I know the person. He is also the Singapore distributor for Tent Labs products. Guido Tent can attest to this and lastly, I do not profit from his business operations.

James Soh, the designer and owner of Effective Audio has been servicing Singapore's modding needs for a few years now. His earlier clock, the Effective Audio Premium Clock was based on a simple TL431 and a transistor.

In the latest revision, Effective Audio Clock II , James uses a a super regulator to provide clean 5V power supply to the XO oscillator and based on what I know about super regulators, they are much quieter compared to a shunt-regulated power supply used in the Tent X03.

Since the performance of the XO oscillator depends a great deal on the quietness of the power supply, technically, the Effective Audio Clock II should outperform the Tent X03.

For your reading pleasure

http://www.effectiveaudiomod.com/Pro...k_products.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clock_eam_2.jpg (65.5 KB, 896 views)
Old 10th August 2006, 02:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The super regulator on board the Effective Audio Clock II is detachable to be used as replacement for any 7805 or 78xx voltage regulators (have to tweak the voltage divider though).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ea_ult_reg.jpg (47.6 KB, 828 views)
Old 10th August 2006, 11:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruach
Hi guys,

Let me state upfront that I am not doing a "Burson" here. I am not the designer/seller of the EA Clock but I know the person. He is also the Singapore distributor for Tent Labs products. Guido Tent can attest to this and lastly, I do not profit from his business operations.

James Soh, the designer and owner of Effective Audio has been servicing Singapore's modding needs for a few years now. His earlier clock, the Effective Audio Premium Clock was based on a simple TL431 and a transistor.

In the latest revision, Effective Audio Clock II , James uses a a super regulator to provide clean 5V power supply to the XO oscillator and based on what I know about super regulators, they are much quieter compared to a shunt-regulated power supply used in the Tent X03.

Since the performance of the XO oscillator depends a great deal on the quietness of the power supply, technically, the Effective Audio Clock II should outperform the Tent X03.

For your reading pleasure

http://www.effectiveaudiomod.com/Pro...k_products.htm

the power supply on Tentlabs XO2/3 boards is speced at 5 nV/SqrrtHz with LF noise corner at about 10Hz

If anyone can supply the output noise specs of the "super" regulator, we have our answer.

best
Old 10th August 2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Banned

Default Re: Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Quote:
Originally posted by Guido Tent
the power supply on Tentlabs XO2/3 boards is speced at 5 nV/SqrrtHz with LF noise corner at about 10Hz
Is that guaranteed performance or potential performance? Your product specifications often include weasel words like potential. Just curious.
Old 10th August 2006, 01:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulas

Is that guaranteed performance or potential performance? Your product specifications often include weasel words like potential. Just curious.

Like I wrote, it is a specification.
Old 11th August 2006, 08:50 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Was the XO3 powered by the XO Supply when you were measure the noise performance?
Old 11th August 2006, 08:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Correct me if I am wrong. Super regulators shoud be much quieter than shunt-regulated power supplies, right?
Old 11th August 2006, 02:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong. Super regulators shoud be much quieter than shunt-regulated power supplies, right?

why ? because they are called super ?

best
Old 11th August 2006, 02:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Was the XO3 powered by the XO Supply when you were measure the noise performance?

Yes, but the output noise is dominated by the regulator itself

best
Old 11th August 2006, 07:22 PM   #10
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Quote:
Originally posted by Guido Tent
Like I wrote, it is a specification.
I’m sorry, but that is still not clear. Is the specification:

1) The design goal of the power supply, or
2) The ‘potential’ performance of the power supply, or
3) The guaranteed performance of the power supply.

Please just answer 1, 2, or 3.

Hide this!Advertise here!