Altmann Attraction DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2006, 12:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Altmann Attraction DAC

This one seems to be getting some good press:

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/attraction.htm

See this review:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...mpling_dac.htm

Sounds like the second coming from the review. Anyone care to speculate what makes it special?
Old 7th August 2006, 03:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks like a PCM1704 non os.
Old 7th August 2006, 03:27 PM   #3
DUC985 is offline DUC985  Germany
diyAudio Member

i had it for a week, for test purposes after the rave review at enjoy the music. I have not compared it agains the DAC's within the review but agains my AYA DAC TDA1541 from Pedja Rogic and my DDDAC with 24xTDA1543. Source was a CDMPRO2. Both DIY DAC's smoked the Altmann in my system.
Old 7th August 2006, 04:48 PM   #4
flyboi is offline flyboi  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to flyboi
Hi DUC985!

What type of NON OS Dac does it used? Could u described the character of the Altmann Attraction DAC compare to the other 2 dacs?

Cheers!

Eddy.
Old 7th August 2006, 10:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default RE: What NON OS DAC chip?

In the seventh paragraph from the bottom of the page in this review http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...mpling_dac.htm it says the chip is the TDA1543. Also says there are 5 OPA134 per channel.
Old 7th August 2006, 10:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The review I linked says it uses a TDA1543!
Old 8th August 2006, 10:17 AM   #7
DUC985 is offline DUC985  Germany
diyAudio Member

The Altman uses one TDA1543 and several OPA134 as output stage. Asyncronus reclocking and a non standard SDIF receiver, so no Crystal device is used. Most of the parts are SMD parts.

With regard to the sound it is always difficult to describe that in writing especially if your mother language is German.
My system is using a CDMPRO2 as transport a K&K Audio line stage and a kind of Ultrapath 300B SE Amp.
Speaker used are Lowther Academy's and Open Baffles using the Ciare 250. Just to give you an indication about the setup used.

The Altman was very natural sounding on voices, i believe this is due to the fact, that one TDA1543 is always more natural than the n * TDA1543 versions.
The Altman was kind of harsh sounding in my system. The n * TDA1543 sounds a lot smoother. With my Lothers this is a very important point. The strange thing was that even it sounded a little bit rough, it lacked top end resolution. The n * TDA1543 had a clearly better soundstage and overall resolution.
I also had kind of problem with the output volume of the Altman, the OPA's push the output to more than ~3 Volts RMS. This makes a linestage obsolete.

So in short words this DAC is not bad at all, but as this is a DIY forum i believe you can do better or at least equal if you build it yourself. Also the parts cost for a single TDA1543 DAC will not cost your more than a 100 bucks with top notch products and without OP's as output stage.
Old 8th August 2006, 11:58 AM   #8
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

On all fotos of different versions of that DAC I can clearly see several crystal devices.
Old 8th August 2006, 01:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

24 bit with TDA ?????
Old 8th August 2006, 10:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernhard
24 bit with TDA ?????
Notice that nowhere in the literature does it reveal the bit depth. I suspect that the custom input receiver discards all but 16 bits.

I wonder if the TDA1543 simply operates on the incoming sample frequency or if there is upsampling.

Hide this!Advertise here!