suggestions for a new-used CD-player (to buy on e-bay)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm interested in buying an used CD-player on e-bay, with a max cost of 100 Euro.

I 'd employ it with a 2A3 SE amplifier (without pre-amplifier). So a 2 Vrms output is necessary (better if with a volume control).

Could you give me some suggestions (marantz ... philips ... NAD ... model ?) for the research ?

Many anticipated thanks

Antonio Tucci

Hi,

In my experience, and you can get them very cheap (compared to
the price new), Sony bitstream CD players can give good sound
quality and excellent facilities (including remote controlled ouput)
for the price you pay for them.

The makes you mention all have good sounding models but the ones
with reputations tend to go for more on e-bay, which is why I'm
suggesting you go for an "unknown" as such, expensive new, Sony.

:)/sreten.

Hi,

The turnover of sony models is high and one that is not in
current production is going to be cheaper than one that isn't.

Searching for ES is a start, these are the more expensive models.

I'm not sure the UK model numbers are the same as European.

:)/sreten.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
One model to stay away from is the Sony SCD-XB770 multi channel SACD/CD player. (In case you got tempted at the thought of a cheap sacd player) At this point in time I would expect well used ones to be showing up at this price point. It looks moderately high end and was available for under 300 euros new. I have a UK version I paid over 200 pounds for + carriage and even with lots of modifications the performance on CD is still pretty mediocre on analog out. Spdif is not that much better. Oddly it isn't that great an SACD player either.

IMHO The Marantz CD-63SE and CD-67SE are highly over-rated, and I've had both. They're very tweakable, but stock can you spell mediocre? Even modded they aren't great shakes..

Sreten is right, some of those cheap Sony cd players sound very good. I can't speak to the one bit versions as I've only had PCM models. IMHO Try to find one that uses Analog Devices pcm dacs as they seem to sound good. I think there might be a list on the net somewhere. My old Sony CDP790 was one such and sounded very good with some basic mods. Not sure if a comparable model was sold in Europe, and this one dates back to the very early 1990's..

See here:

http://www.kta-hifi.net/articles/pf_articles.html
You want the very first article.

Some of the older Rotel stuff with Philips cd pro 9m mechanisms and the Pacific Microsonics pmd 100 digital filter and BB dacs are amazing and have the added bonus of good HDCD playback. (IIRC RCD880/990? Model numbers might be wrong!) Rotel RCD855 is a non hdcd model worth looking at.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.