help!, diy sound card parts problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am in the middle of building a soundcard based on the pcm2906 chip from ti, i am building it from the schematics of the pcm2902 evaluation board.

the problem is that i cannot find the op-amps (OPA2353) and regulator (REG103) that they use there.

i would like to know if any of you can help me find alternatives for these two, and what do i have to do to amend the circuit in order to use them.
ofcourse would be best if anybody knows where i can get them in israel.

i did buy this regulator: "LM1117T - 3.3V Low Drop-Out Regulator", but it has a different amount of pins than the reg103, so i am not sure if its good and how to use it if it is.

i've attached the evaluation board schematics.

thanks, Gideon

Attachments

• pcm2902_board.jpg
    pcm2902_board.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 352
diy sound "card" / parts choices

" ... this regulator: "LM1117T - 3.3V Low Drop-Out Regulator", but it has a different amount of pins than the reg103, so i am not sure if its good and how to use it if it is. ..."

When in doubt about pinout or specs, don't use it. There are TI regulators that you could chose as alternates: http://focus.ti.com/paramsearch/doc...log&familyId=659&uiTemplateId=NODE_STRY_PGE_T ... is the TI sku prt # selector.

(It is advisable that you use the TI's regulators with TI's chip sets ... that way when or if you need tech support they will more readily give it to you ... and TI can make more intelegent decisions about your answers.)

TI can also tell you where to go to get the whole chip sets = TI distributors, etc.

:smash:

chip set & interface

It appears that the chip set from TI that you have chosen is adaptable to either USB or FireWire 1394 ... You might consider the FireWire over the USB as the power supplied by the cable(s) will have the potential of being better regulated (cleaner, more headroom of 12 VDC [FW] v. 5 VDC [USB]).

Plus performance (latiency, jitter, bandwidth) is better with FireWire ... take a look at all of the pro audio equipment that uses it ...

(TI does both FireWire and USB audio chip sets, so there is no problem about having them help ... and it is possible to build a sound "card" that can handle both interfaces = dual interface = a definate plus.)

:smash:

thanks fasteddy,

i will have a look for some replacements for the regulator in the link that you sent me.
you are right about the firewire vrs usb,
i was looking for a simple project, since i am quite a begginer diyer.
Then i found the information for this specific chip on this forum and it seemed to have enough information and its simple enough for me to try.

I found some old threads in this forum and another forum talking about replacements for the opamps, but i am not sure how to change the circuit in-order to use them.

the only one i found in israel for damn expensive price is AD823.

diy sound "card" beginners

The very best interfaces for either FireWire or USB as applied to high resolution 24 bit audio I/O are from Oxford Semiconductor (http://www.oxsemi.com/ ... don' forget the www's, their British, after all). Oxford Semi also leads the pack in FireWire and USB hard drive interfaces.

For general purpose audio and some nice variations on consumer audio I/O as applied to FireWire and USB, Texas Instruments is perfectly satisfactory. Great stuff with lots of control and power variations.

My advise is to get either company's "evaluation boards", rather than trying to design such from scratch. If you can master their technologies and methodologies and fully understand what's going on here ... then you can get a high paying, high tech job rolling your own.

:smash: = :D

i am far from building it from scratch,
its a great compliment but right now i am just a monkey with a soldering iron following the ti evaluation board . :D

its just that its a bit outdated, and i think the two components i am looking for (op-amps (OPA2353) and regulator (REG103)) have newer versions. i cant seem to find enough information about that though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.