Open Source, Open Architecture! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2006, 05:27 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

You reckon without the gaming community, console users notwithstanding.
Old 30th July 2006, 06:17 PM   #22
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rfbrw

To think I thought the people who came up with the Zone Phone had gone away.
That's a pretty s****y attitude. It's the attitude that keeps Linux and Firefox from amounting to anything outside of the narrow-minded tech community.

If the zone phone is what I think it is, it was very important in behaviour studies. Without it we would know a lot less than we do today. And we know very little.

Thankful more enlightened people, like those at Microsoft, Sony and Philips, pour great sums on money into this. In fact, they bank their futures on it.

Quote:
Originally posted by rfbrw
You reckon without the gaming community, console users notwithstanding.
I reckon very little.
Old 30th July 2006, 06:40 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phn

That's a pretty s****y attitude. It's the attitude that keeps Linux and Firefox from amounting to anything outside of the narrow-minded tech community.

If the zone phone is what I think it is, it was very important in behaviour studies. Without it we would know a lot less than we do today. And we know very little.

Thankful more enlightened people, like those at Microsoft, Sony and Philips, pour great sums on money into this. In fact, they bank their futures on it.

I reckon very little.

It is pretty apparent you haven't the faintest idea what the zone phone was but you are clearly not one to let ignorance of the topic prevent you from commenting.
Old 30th July 2006, 06:59 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I did a google and came up with nothing solid.

People at my college did some "zone phone" thing where you could phone for free within that zone or area. That was what I was thinking. If that's off, then I evidently was.

Edit: Feel free to enlighten me. I'm always open to learn new things.
Old 30th July 2006, 11:00 PM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

Guys, moderate your language. Putting stars instead of letters doesn't make the content any less offensive, it just shows a lack of vocabulary.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 30th July 2006, 11:09 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

So that's what it's for--to make use more creative language.

Point taken.
Old 31st July 2006, 04:09 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Open source, for audio, especially the control pre amp.

This can apply to too channel, and to surround sound.
Old 31st July 2006, 06:17 AM   #28
andrei is offline andrei  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Of open source and users...

I know better, but what the hell. Let's have a fine flamewar in memory of .rec newsgroups and days gone by .

Quote:
Originally posted by phn
Techies and engineers have proven they are incapable of making usable software for anyone but techies and engineers.
And non-techies are incapable of making software period. So what's your point?

Quote:
I want nothing to do with the backward and narrow-minded people in the open source community. They would have had something to offer if this had been the 1970s, when the PC looked like a good idea. And they will remain dinosaurs until they start to evolve.
This really shows how forward and wide-minded you are. I could not have done it better myself if I were to flame you .

Quote:
Open source might still have a future, but then only as a niche for a small group of music nerds. Everybody else will stay away, as they do from Firefox and Linux.
I don't know what people you hang out with, but in scientific and high-performance computing communities Linux is the OS of choice. (Although MacOS laptops have been becoming more popular ever since they adopted Mach kernel and Unix development tools.)

Anyway, I get the impression that none of the posters to this thread are actually involved in open source software development (or any software development? ). The basic way open source works is this: You have a problem, you solve the problem, your publish the code so that other people can do the same. With this being [I]DIY{/I] audio forum, I am surprised at the hostile attitude towards open source in this thread.

There is a lot of interesting audio projects going on in open source community. Digital room correction, AAC/MPEG codecs, lossless audio compression, just to name a few. You can run Linux on embedded architectures, or on your iPod. For hardware developers, there is open IP cores project. Why don't you join the fun?

Whatever the pursuit, there are always people who make and people who use. The latter class gets bonus cookie points for complaining while they do so . Which one are you?

And for the record, I develop two open source projects deployed across three OSes (Linux/Unix, Windows and MacOS), as well as playing with some embedded coding for my audio projects.
Old 31st July 2006, 06:28 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Of open source and users...

Quote:
Originally posted by andrei
The basic way open source works is this: You have a problem, you solve the problem....
Therein lies the rub. There is no problem
Old 31st July 2006, 06:38 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Compare Open Source software with the market for automotive hobbyests, custom car builders.

In the latter, standards have developed, as an extrapolation of the original industry standards.

I think and Open Source and Open Architecture audio standard can be developed in the same way, as an extrapolation of what industry is already doing.

It can be a combination of approaches.

1. Open source software already available, probably for PCs.

2. Some hardware architecture already available, like from the embedded controller market.

3. Commercial software standards already available.

Then with a combination of writting some software, but also gaining some voice with which to pressure industry, we can make it happen.

It has to be a colaborative effort. That is how Open Source works.

Its also similar to the home built aircraft field. Lots of info sharing.

Anyone here using any Open Source audio software. Anyone using any PC based digital recording or music synthesis software which allows any kind of outside plug ins???

Hide this!Advertise here!