Open Source, Open Architecture! - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2006, 01:09 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

The new Sony Play Station 3 might be a good platform to experiment with..

It will have a BlueRay true HD DVD player

Several teraflops of compute power

Wireless game controllers

Estimated price $500 in full production

I would like a fully digital HT with a crossover and room equalization in the player that drives digital coax to the digital amps in each speaker.
Old 22nd September 2006, 12:47 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Thats exactly the way I want it!! I agree that a video game box could be the way to go.

Digital crossovers, and digital feeds to powered speakers.

Its got to be a collaborative effort. Start with whats available, then define what else is needed.

Audio Explorations:
http://groups.google.com/group/audioex_amps_atob
http://groups.google.com/group/audioex_amps_dght
Old 22nd September 2006, 12:47 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

Look at this, the G2PX video game controller, with a display. Open source, open architecture. Anyone can duplicate it.

Say you use that as your hand held controller. So, you pick what kind of tone controls you will have. You decide how to manage the low bass with your various subwoofers and full range channels. You decide how and when to do Dolby and Thx comp. You decide what to use the surround channels for, maybe even going beyond 7.1. Maybe you take input form a synthesized organ. Such often have dozens of audio channels.

Maybe you are running scratch correction software to digitize vinyl.

Maybe you want digital delay to simulate a much bigger room.

The possibilites are endless, but the principle is that you the user decide, not marketeers.

Say this handheld controller plugs into your digital control preamp, which might be a box running say, a TigerShark DSP chip.

Otherwise the box doesn't have much. Maybe just an emergency volume and mute.

Digital lines to powered speakers. Of course the powered speakers can also take analog input.
Old 22nd September 2006, 12:58 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

See a bigger picture of the GP2X:

http://groups.google.com/group/audio...27b414e991c9c7
Old 22nd September 2006, 04:39 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Default Open source

Hi,

I have posted a few times before but mainly just reading. I have a great interest in the general theme of open source, but agree with the others that you need to have some idea of what you want. I dont really understand what it is you want from this thread, a list of links?

Im not sure why you are focusing on the games console. It seems over the top for a controller. It may have an open source development platform, but it isnt readily available and Id imagine reasoanbly expensive. I understand that you are citing it as something that we could develop into many differnet things (the point of your first post), but there are at least tens of other products that are hacked or allow open source development - not least a carefully specced pc.

I think you underestimate the completeness of what has already been done.

Look at Giantdisc it can use older palm handhelds to control an audio server via bluetooth i.e. no montior or keyboard required. It is open source and all the programmes it requires are as well. For a competent programmer (not me Im afraid) it would be relatively simple to add further formats simply by using pluggins, and the addition of Brutefir would be a nice touch. It would be simple to add control features to the palm. Surely something like this, a complete system, is a better starting point than a device you 'could' turn into a remote control for something you have not yet even defined?!

There are many minimal linux distributions that can run off usb flash drives and could be modified by a competent programmer to include most functionalities you are dreaming of.

You might want to check
Demudi out as well. It is a linux OS that has been carefully otimised for low latency audio - a 'DAW' as you mentioned earlier. In my oppinion its repositories inlcude the best of open source audio software, and if you want to be active in open source audio development it is a good place to start. You can check it for alternatives to VST and you should definetly look at the JACK audio server, the heart of the system. Sony, as a consortium member, based a prototype 'Hifi' unit on Demudi, see here although I doubt they will be willing to share. looks like what you want to do, at least physically.

Ubuntu Studio is also a very interesting site. it focuses on otpimising Ubuntu in the same way Demudi was developed from debian. It also has interesting links to a number of other projects.

Mythtv is also a popular base for an open source audio system.

I think we could go on all day listing interesting projects, but if you are not willing to commit to a spec nothing will be achieved and this will simply be an unorganised wish list. Sorry if Ive missed your point so far.

Cheers,

Ross
Old 22nd September 2006, 07:09 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

zmb, This is what open source should be, a tangible end product without waiting for someone else to do the work.
Old 23rd September 2006, 06:53 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

I'm excited by Borge's new project and thead, and I will check it out.

Rossco_50

What is already building is a list of links. I don't at all underestimate what has already been accomplished. Really I'm trying to apprasie it. Only then is it possible to disserne what is still missing.

I want the links. But I'm also hoping to get more first hand accounts. We've already gotten some good ones. I want to know what people are actually using now.

I'll check out all your links.

Audio Explorations:
http://groups.google.com/group/audioex_amps_dght
Old 23rd September 2006, 07:59 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Giantdisc?

http://www.giantdisc.org/index.php

This looks very interesting. I hope its not only mp3, because that has lossy compression.

But controlling a main unit with a Palm, or other display equiped BlueTooth device, is very attractive.

I see the best as a low cost box with just a couple of controls. Then most of the controls are on a hand held with a display.

If you want big play lists and jukebox like thing, then there could also be a PC with its hard disk.

There are so many software things going on that its very hard for me to make sense of them all. Addressing that was my real reason for starting this thread.
Old 23rd September 2006, 07:59 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Rossco_50, do you know the Giantdisc people? Do you know where they are geographically?

This is all very interesting to me.

In my mind I've broken it down into 5 parts.

The first 3 are for domestic audio. The second two are not.

1. Control preamp functions. This is my first focus. It includes
Eq, Dolby, THx, decoding of surrounds, delay and ambience, compression and decompression ( needed for some feature films nowdays )

2. Active crossovers, for powered multipamped speakers.

3. Source managment, play lists, library cataloging, juke boxing.

And then:

4. Recording, mixing, and editing functions.

5. Music synthesis.

It seems that the same signal processing plug in standards that work for one of these will work for the other.

The real issue here is just to appraise what the current state of affairs really is. This is daunting.

Audio Explorations:
Old 23rd September 2006, 10:04 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Default Giantdisc

Hi,

I dont know the giantdisc people (seems main responsibility is in switzerland, but the there are a number of contributors listed). Ive been messing about with the system a little and am currently trying to get a bluetooth adaptor for the palm vx to work with it, but I am no expert - still learning. My main interest is 2 cahnnel audio so havnt actively sought solutions to decoding of surround formats. FLAC is supported so not only MP3, Im using FLAC.

Its audio only, so mythtv is definitely the better way to go if you want movie playback functionality. It provides very good creation/management features for music (FLAC included) and movie playlists, also records tv. If you had a tv card on your pc you would be able to use its interface on your tv and control everything from there - its an open source alternative to Windows media centre. If you use the JACK system I mentioned in my last post you can route all audio output from mythtv to any processing plugin you want - that just leaves identification of the plugins required. Brutefir will do all crossovers, eq, delay etc. Check the mythtv forums Im sure someone has set up the exact configuration you are looking for

If you ran all this on Demudi you would have all that is currently available in terms of open source audio editing/synthesis/mixing etc. within the same system. You will not be able to better their efforts in terms of a professional open source audio system, at least not without difficulty.

I think the 'missing' part of it all is the ability to decode closed source standards such as THX dolby etc using open standards. No too much you can do about that. Find a souncard that is supported under linux that can do such decoding. Or study these standards and simulate their effect with the processing ability of something like brutefir. This is probably the point where a lot of people turn back to windows. There are vst plugins that will decode thx etc but they are not open and are expensive.

found this. its a dsp card with audio ins and outs that can be programmed via linux for a number of uses, one being a 'thx pro logic like' decoder (i.e. its not actually an official decoder) - however its not open source, I dont think, and costs about a grand for the card although the software is free to download.

Cheers,

Ross

Hide this!Advertise here!