New player from G Tent - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2006, 01:06 PM   #1
mrjam is offline mrjam  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
mrjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Massa. Italy
Lightbulb New player from G Tent

I've just visited Guido's site and discovered a new product:

http://www.tentlabs.com/ProductEntit.../CDplayer.html

..in reality I was waiting for the new dac ..but..
It's really nice! Especially the acrilic plane! ..I love this material!!

Guido, any info about it? ..its technical peculiarities?

Few questions:
1- What about the light (sun or -worse- fluorescent) which interferes with the laser? Is the open chassis your ultimate set-up? It's surely more aestetical than a closed box, but IMHO less effective.
2- Don't you worry about the vibrations? ..I see no suspension at all!! I used eight opposite magnets in my player (do you remember it?), it's really effective! Did you investigate about this problem and possible solutions?
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 04:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
hifimaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Jose
I wonder if it has balanced outputs?

-David
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 04:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
jacco vermeulen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: At the sea front, Rotterdam or Curaçao
Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
The pic in the Dutch article on the player only has RCA's.
And i see only 1 output tube, a Mullard E88CC is very nice though. Small wonder as Guido must have picked up nice bits and pieces from Ed de Jong.

(Way back down in history i wondered if shaving my head as bald as Ed's would get me the g/f-s as exotic and freaky as his, and also 20 years younger. )

CD-player looks very nice, even for 2.5 big $ bills.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 04:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Eindhoven
Default Re: New player from G Tent

Quote:
Originally posted by mrjam
I've just visited Guido's site and discovered a new product:

http://www.tentlabs.com/ProductEntit.../CDplayer.html

..in reality I was waiting for the new dac ..but..
It's really nice! Especially the acrilic plane! ..I love this material!!

Guido, any info about it? ..its technical peculiarities?

Few questions:
1- What about the light (sun or -worse- fluorescent) which interferes with the laser? Is the open chassis your ultimate set-up? It's surely more aestetical than a closed box, but IMHO less effective.
2- Don't you worry about the vibrations? ..I see no suspension at all!! I used eight opposite magnets in my player (do you remember it?), it's really effective! Did you investigate about this problem and possible solutions?
Ciao Roberto,

Thanks for your kind words

The acrylic initially was made for demo purposes only, though I found many people like it ! It is available, though i do not reccomend it, indeed for stray light but also for dust purposes...

A "normal" cabinet will become available too, also DIY. In that cabinet i will take care of the echanical mounting / suspension of the drive.

Ofcourse you can make your own cabinet, all modules will become available seperately.

There are no balanced outputs, I see no advantage in normal applications, but if you want, you van drive a pair of transformers, Lundahl makes some nice ones. There will be 2 output impedances, 2.7k-ohm or <100 ohm, the latter being made by a well linearized FET buffer. The user can choose which he / she prefers.

Yes, I met the E88CC at deJongs place long ago, it is a fine tube, when used correctly.

all the best
__________________
Guido Tent
www.Tentlabs.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2006, 06:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Holland, The Hague
There are some updates on the site.

http://www.tentlabs.com/page6/page26/page26.html

Wooden site panels. jammie

How will the build in DAC (AK4384) of a CDPro2M compare with this PCM1704?
__________________
Is that all there is?
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2006, 06:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
mpmarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Crunchville, where I don't fit in.
Congrats! That looks really great...both product and review.

wooden side panels me likes too

Dang I wish I had more money, shoulda done that M.I.T. thing
__________________
Crazy Yankee.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 05:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
hifimaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Jose
Quote:
Originally posted by dw8083
I wonder if it has balanced outputs?

-David
Hi Guido,

Thank you for all your expert contributions to the forum! You are one of the people that make the forum a must read.

Are you ever considering making a balanced DAC? I'm very interested in purchasing a balanced version.

Thank you,

-David
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 05:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Eindhoven
Quote:
Originally posted by dw8083


Hi Guido,

Thank you for all your expert contributions to the forum! You are one of the people that make the forum a must read.

Are you ever considering making a balanced DAC? I'm very interested in purchasing a balanced version.

Thank you,

-David
Hi David,

If you mean balanced from the digital domain onwards: No, I don't see the advantage, as 95% of the customers use single ended interfacing.

Thos customers wanting balanced outputs may add a 1:1+1 transformer at the output.

best
__________________
Guido Tent
www.Tentlabs.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 10:28 AM   #9
mrjam is offline mrjam  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
mrjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Massa. Italy
Default possible loop

Ciao Guido

I see you use the controller\display board from Nico as I do in my player.

I'm working at a deep revision of my circuit and I noted a possible ground loop between the cdpro board and the above mentioned board.
It could be generated by the flat (control) cable gnd connection and the boards own supply gnd connections.

Did you care about it?
Maybe a 100ohm//100nF as a breaker could be fine


Ah, nice case with wood sides! I planned to use it on my DAC!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcu conn.jpg (71.4 KB, 406 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 07:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
hifimaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Jose
Quote:
Originally posted by Guido Tent


Hi David,

If you mean balanced from the digital domain onwards: No, I don't see the advantage, as 95% of the customers use single ended interfacing.

Thos customers wanting balanced outputs may add a 1:1+1 transformer at the output.

best

Hello Guido,

Thank you for your help. Some of us are using Pass Labs circuits with Nelson's X-topology. The Pass designs perform better with balanced analog signals.

-David
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XO DAC by Guido Tent joeling39 Digital Source 10 19th March 2013 08:34 AM
Philips Cd-Pro2 player/transport w/ tent labs XO3 clock - $1000 o.b.o. Electro3000 Swap Meet 5 25th January 2009 12:03 AM
tent clock stvnharr Digital Source 9 15th September 2007 04:30 PM
Tent xo float Digital Source 10 29th April 2005 02:26 AM
Kwak clock and Guido Tent oscillator in a TDA1541 zer-oversampled cd player Dr.H Digital Source 4 10th May 2003 10:42 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2