New player from G Tent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just visited Guido's site and discovered a new product:

http://www.tentlabs.com/ProductEntities/CDplayer/CDplayer.html

..in reality I was waiting for the new dac :D ..but..
It's really nice! Especially the acrilic plane! ..I love this material!!

Guido, any info about it? ..its technical peculiarities?

Few questions:
1- What about the light (sun or -worse- fluorescent) which interferes with the laser? Is the open chassis your ultimate set-up? It's surely more aestetical than a closed box, but IMHO less effective.
2- Don't you worry about the vibrations? ..I see no suspension at all!! I used eight opposite magnets in my player (do you remember it?), it's really effective! Did you investigate about this problem and possible solutions?

The pic in the Dutch article on the player only has RCA's.
And i see only 1 output tube, a Mullard E88CC is very nice though. Small wonder as Guido must have picked up nice bits and pieces from Ed de Jong.

(Way back down in history i wondered if shaving my head as bald as Ed's would get me the g/f-s as exotic and freaky as his, and also 20 years younger. :clown: )

CD-player looks very nice, even for 2.5 big $ bills.

mrjam said:
I've just visited Guido's site and discovered a new product:

http://www.tentlabs.com/ProductEntities/CDplayer/CDplayer.html

..in reality I was waiting for the new dac :D ..but..
It's really nice! Especially the acrilic plane! ..I love this material!!

Guido, any info about it? ..its technical peculiarities?

Few questions:
1- What about the light (sun or -worse- fluorescent) which interferes with the laser? Is the open chassis your ultimate set-up? It's surely more aestetical than a closed box, but IMHO less effective.
2- Don't you worry about the vibrations? ..I see no suspension at all!! I used eight opposite magnets in my player (do you remember it?), it's really effective! Did you investigate about this problem and possible solutions?

Ciao Roberto,

Thanks for your kind words

The acrylic initially was made for demo purposes only, though I found many people like it ! It is available, though i do not reccomend it, indeed for stray light but also for dust purposes...

A "normal" cabinet will become available too, also DIY. In that cabinet i will take care of the echanical mounting / suspension of the drive.

Ofcourse you can make your own cabinet, all modules will become available seperately.

There are no balanced outputs, I see no advantage in normal applications, but if you want, you van drive a pair of transformers, Lundahl makes some nice ones. There will be 2 output impedances, 2.7k-ohm or <100 ohm, the latter being made by a well linearized FET buffer. The user can choose which he / she prefers.

Yes, I met the E88CC at deJongs place long ago, it is a fine tube, when used correctly.

all the best

dw8083 said:

Hi Guido,

Thank you for all your expert contributions to the forum! You are one of the people that make the forum a must read.

Are you ever considering making a balanced DAC? I'm very interested in purchasing a balanced version.

Thank you,

-David

Hi David,

If you mean balanced from the digital domain onwards: No, I don't see the advantage, as 95% of the customers use single ended interfacing.

Thos customers wanting balanced outputs may add a 1:1+1 transformer at the output.

best

possible loop

Ciao Guido

I see you use the controller\display board from Nico as I do in my player.

I'm working at a deep revision of my circuit and I noted a possible ground loop between the cdpro board and the above mentioned board.
It could be generated by the flat (control) cable gnd connection and the boards own supply gnd connections.

Did you care about it?
Maybe a 100ohm//100nF as a breaker could be fine
:confused:

Ah, nice case with wood sides! I planned to use it on my DAC!

Attachments

• mcu conn.jpg
    mcu conn.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 421
Guido Tent said:

Hi David,

If you mean balanced from the digital domain onwards: No, I don't see the advantage, as 95% of the customers use single ended interfacing.

Thos customers wanting balanced outputs may add a 1:1+1 transformer at the output.

best

Hello Guido,

Thank you for your help. Some of us are using Pass Labs circuits with Nelson's X-topology. The Pass designs perform better with balanced analog signals.

-David

Re: possible loop

mrjam said:
Ciao Guido

I see you use the controller\display board from Nico as I do in my player.

I'm working at a deep revision of my circuit and I noted a possible ground loop between the cdpro board and the above mentioned board.
It could be generated by the flat (control) cable gnd connection and the boards own supply gnd connections.

Did you care about it?
Maybe a 100ohm//100nF as a breaker could be fine
:confused:

Ah, nice case with wood sides! I planned to use it on my DAC!

Hi

Yes, these loops often are present. Actually I am not too worried about them, but you may try the suggested network.

best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.