Non-oversampling DAC with ESL-57? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2006, 09:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Non-oversampling DAC with ESL-57?

Is there anyone here with experience of using a non-oversampling, unfiltered DAC with the Quad ESL-57?

I am curious to hear such a DAC but I wonder about the high frequency noise above 22kHz causing a problem for the delicate treble panels in my Quads, due to the possible presence of a rising response at or above this frequency caused by leakage inductance from the step-up transformer.

From my limited knowledge I guess (hope) the noise above 22kHz from such DACs is sufficiently low in amplitude to correct for any rising response in the speaker panel, however this is just speculation on my part and I would prefer to be more confident.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has tried this combination, or anyone who may be able to shed any more light on this.

My thanks in advance for any advice.

Tim.
Old 23rd July 2006, 11:11 AM   #2
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

I think the issue will be more your amplifier....

dynamic tweeters has a rising impedance as frequency goes up, so even with higher energy output in the > 22kHz, this should not cause too much of an issue

An ESL however has very very low inpedance at those frequencies and falls when frequency increase. The ESL should have no problem with that, but your amplifier might .....

doede
Old 25th July 2006, 08:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I suppose there is only one way to find out for sure!

Tim.
Old 16th August 2006, 07:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Tim,

I use electrostatics on a nos dac and it works just great. The Quads will not reach 22Khz because of the audio transformers. Together with the panels it will act like a filter and i guess it have a min 3db point at about 18khz. So no worries...
Just make shure your amp is ok because it has to deal with the impedance of the quads (near zero Ohms) at 44Khz !
Old 16th August 2006, 12:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, nice to hear from someone with first hand experience of using a NOS DAC and ESLs, albeit not the Quad ESL-57(?). Though the Quad has an acoustic roll-off below 20kHz there is the possibility that its electrical response goes much higher and, as with many ESLs, actually peaks above this frequency due to the panel capacitance/step-up transformer inductance forming a tuned circuit. With the treble panel's limited power handling I was concerned this could be a problem, despite the reduced amplitute level of the signal above 22kHz.

I have now tried a NOS DAC with the ESL-57 and it seems that this is not a problem in practice, indeed they sound surprisingly good together!

Tim.
Old 16th August 2006, 02:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Tim,

Nice that it works so well ! In my case i use a cd100 14 bit nos cd-player at this moment on Acoustat CLS with dedicated amps and a small diy tube preamp. What power amp do you use to drive the Quads?
Old 16th August 2006, 02:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What power amp do you use to drive the Quads?
A JLH 15W class A with a stepped attenuator, TDA1543 NOS DAC and now Quad ESL-63...thanks to the DAC.

Tim.

Hide this!Advertise here!