My Sony DTC-690 DAT Recorder - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2006, 10:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My Sony DTC-690 DAT Recorder

Hi, It's brain picking time! I have a Sony DTC-690 DAT machine which will ( in this order!), accept a tape, thread up a tape, play a tape, fast forward a tape and rewind a tape, BUT - when I try to eject the tape, the lace up arms retract but the tape does not wind back into it's housing. The unit tries several times to eject and when it eventually does eject there is a loop of tape syill outside it's shell. This is very frustrating and I would be most grateful for any clues to a solution! Over to you and Thanks in advance!.
Old 21st July 2006, 07:21 PM   #2
jahonen is offline jahonen  Finland
diyAudio Member

I don't know if DAT machines have mode switch in the mechanics, like VCR's do. I would try cleaning/replacing the switch if one exists. Common source of strange behaviour with VCRs is just the mode switch being flaky.

Regards,
Janne
Old 21st July 2006, 09:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. That seems a logical place to start. DAT mechanics are a lot smaller than a VCR but I'll have a go!
Old 21st July 2006, 10:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Definitely a good idea, as well as the reel, and possibly tension sensors (if any). Had a JVC VCR that did the exact same thing, was the feed reel sensor. Wouldn't pull the slack in before ejecting. Everything else on it was fine.

Had a Casio portable DAT at one point (miss it dearly, sold it for some stupid reason), on rare occasion would not retract the tape in enough before snapping the cover on eject. But was too rare to even be of concern. Getting that small, the slightest glitch can be nasty. Also components that size tend to be based more on pre-fab relatively precision fittings and tensionings, rather than active sensors and compensation. (may not be related, but also look for dirty brakes)
Old 21st July 2006, 10:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Great, at least I'm finding some common ground to work from. I'm a bit reluctant to dismantle the mechanics too much (parts flying out and vanishing forever, that sort of thing!). A service manual would help but not sure where to get one.
Old 21st July 2006, 10:47 PM   #6
docfin is offline docfin  Europe
Account Disabled

Service manual for Sony DTC-690 available here
Old 23rd July 2006, 12:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi, got the manual, found the magic 'tweaker' and the tape now ejects properly. Unfortunately rewind is now very sluggish and I cannot sort this one! Ah well. can't have evrything I suppose. Thanks to all who replied.

Regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!