Adding Wordclock inputs to source - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Adding Wordclock inputs to source

Hi,

I want to learn how to add a BNC Wordclock input to a transport such as a soundcard, CD player or Squeezebox? How would this work?
Simply replacing the original crystal oscillator and leading a shielded cable out?

Assuming I have a very stable, low-noise clock near my DAC - when I synchronize my sources with this clock, I would dramatically reduce jitter and this would be the perfect choice for a "clean" system as opposed to using ASRC's which are obviously only a poor choice for a low jitter system. Is this correct?

Maybe someone can shed some light on this or point me to some threads or reference sources so I can learn more about this.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 24th July 2006, 02:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello Mike

You'd need a PLL circuit to go from 44.1 KHz to the original crystal frequency.

best
Old 25th July 2006, 02:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi.

One alternative is to buy a pro soundcard with wordclock i/o. A very good one is the RME Digi96/8 PAD with the WCM expansion.

Another way of implementing the system is to send the master clock directly to the transport, preferably using an optical interconnect. Im not sure if the standard toslink transmitters and receivers can handle 11.2896 MHz or higher, please check that.

The third and best way (IMO): in the DAC, use a spdif tx IC to generate spdif with your clock. You can use any soundcard with spdif i/o as your transport. Or you can slave your cdplayer by adding a spdif rx to recover the 11.2896 MHz (if the MCK of your CDP is 256fs).

This last method is how I did it and it works flawlessly. I used optical interconnects and my soundcard is the RME Digi96/8 PST.

Best regards,
Alexandre

Hide this!Advertise here!