Spdif into USB interface? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2006, 12:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Spdif into USB interface?

I want to take a Spdif output from a PCI, and conect it to an USB interface. I mean, this interface could be conected to the computer, and send receive audio with itīs driver, but for my applications I want to use the Pci audio driver, and take itīs SPDIF output to the USB interface, because it has preamp, and headphones amp.
So I want to convert from SPDIF to USB port, but not the pc port, instead the interface usb port. How can I do this?

If I take another interface like Roland UA1D, what has in/out SPDIF, and USB, would this just work, if I make a cable to match the USB conectors?
Old 18th July 2006, 05:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can use a PCM2906 to do this. I do.

jh
Old 19th July 2006, 04:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

itīs a chip? Where can I buy it?
Old 19th July 2006, 05:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's a TI chip. I assumed you wanted to build something from scratch, as this is a DIY forum.

I'm still not sure exactly what you are trying to do. This chip can do the conversion between S/PDIF and USB in both directions. Record and playback.

jh
Old 19th July 2006, 08:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your support.
I ask here because there is people with knowlegde to can help me, and really donīt know if a comercial device can do what I want. Iīll explain it better.

This device is a portable preamp, A/D, with USB interface. It can be cocected to the pc with the USB port, and playback/record audio like any soundcard, even I donīt want to use it this way.
Click the image to open in full size.

This one, is a pci soundcard, with DSP, effects, synths, sampler, low latency. It has SPDIF in/out , (mini-jack conector).

Both could be used on a audio APP, like a sequencer. I use Cubase SX. I just can only use one of them on the APP, so I select the pci one, because I need some features inside it.
I can easisly add the portable preamp to the setup, just conecting the SPDIF output it has, to the SPDIF in, on the PCI card.

The problem is that I want to return the pci output, into the portable preamp, to use it headphones output, and mix with the mic signal.
As you can see the portable preamp, has no SPDIF input, and the audio inputs are only the preamp ones, so I think I could use the USB port. So what I need, is just take the PCI SPDIF output, and convert to USB, to be conected on the portable preamp.

I thought if i could use this comercial device to do it:

But as you can see, itīs made to conect to the computer, so the usb conector is the computer one, not the device one. I assume that would need to make a cable to can conect correctly.
The idea would be:
portable preamp-[USB port]- UA1D- [SPDIF concector]-Pci
I would need to supply the UA1D, and still have doubt if it would work.
I would like if you know any comercial device that would work for my intentions. The ship solution would be ok also, but if I not find any other more simple.
Please, let me know if you understand my explanation, and what do you think about
I consider a DIY since I could not find any device to can conect the SPDIF, directly into the USB port of a device. All of them seems made to be conected to the computer, as a digital audio interface. Maybe it exist, but I donīt know, so I think if maybe I could do a DIY, changing the USB conectors with the right cable soldering.
Old 23rd July 2006, 09:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Anyone know if can do this conection?
Old 31st July 2006, 04:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lagoausente
Anyone know if can do this conection?

If you are still around, try this, it will probably do everything you are wanting to do for a much less money that the mini-me adc.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...16&src=3WFRWXX

good luck.
Old 31st July 2006, 06:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Spdif into USB interface?

Quote:
I want to take a Spdif output from a PCI, and conect it to an USB interface. I mean, this interface could be conected to the computer, and send receive audio with itīs driver, but for my applications I want to use the Pci audio driver, and take itīs SPDIF output to the USB interface, because it has preamp, and headphones amp.
So I want to convert from SPDIF to USB port, but not the pc port, instead the interface usb port. How can I do this?

If I take another interface like Roland UA1D, what has in/out SPDIF, and USB, would this just work, if I make a cable to match the USB conectors?
If you want a pro-audio solution the do it the right way and forget the toys.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/digi96/digi96pa.htm

Joe
Old 31st July 2006, 10:46 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think you didnīt understand much.
Old 31st July 2006, 04:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think you didnīt understand much.

You are right, most of your post didn't make sense and I was trying to understand what you wanted to do. I've done a lot with pro-audio (ADC/DAC, s/pdif...) on PCs as many here probably have. I am sorry for trying to help - have a nice day.

Joe

Hide this!Advertise here!