Spdif into USB interface?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to take a Spdif output from a PCI, and conect it to an USB interface. I mean, this interface could be conected to the computer, and send receive audio with it´s driver, but for my applications I want to use the Pci audio driver, and take it´s SPDIF output to the USB interface, because it has preamp, and headphones amp.
So I want to convert from SPDIF to USB port, but not the pc port, instead the interface usb port. How can I do this?

If I take another interface like Roland UA1D, what has in/out SPDIF, and USB, would this just work, if I make a cable to match the USB conectors?

Thanks for your support.
I ask here because there is people with knowlegde to can help me, and really don´t know if a comercial device can do what I want. I´ll explain it better.

This device is a portable preamp, A/D, with USB interface. It can be cocected to the pc with the USB port, and playback/record audio like any soundcard, even I don´t want to use it this way.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This one, is a pci soundcard, with DSP, effects, synths, sampler, low latency. It has SPDIF in/out , (mini-jack conector).
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Both could be used on a audio APP, like a sequencer. I use Cubase SX. I just can only use one of them on the APP, so I select the pci one, because I need some features inside it.
I can easisly add the portable preamp to the setup, just conecting the SPDIF output it has, to the SPDIF in, on the PCI card.

The problem is that I want to return the pci output, into the portable preamp, to use it headphones output, and mix with the mic signal.
As you can see the portable preamp, has no SPDIF input, and the audio inputs are only the preamp ones, so I think I could use the USB port. So what I need, is just take the PCI SPDIF output, and convert to USB, to be conected on the portable preamp.

I thought if i could use this comercial device to do it:

UA1D.jpg

But as you can see, it´s made to conect to the computer, so the usb conector is the computer one, not the device one. I assume that would need to make a cable to can conect correctly.
The idea would be:
portable preamp-[USB port]- UA1D- [SPDIF concector]-Pci
I would need to supply the UA1D, and still have doubt if it would work.
I would like if you know any comercial device that would work for my intentions. The ship solution would be ok also, but if I not find any other more simple.
Please, let me know if you understand my explanation, and what do you think about
I consider a DIY since I could not find any device to can conect the SPDIF, directly into the USB port of a device. All of them seems made to be conected to the computer, as a digital audio interface. Maybe it exist, but I don´t know, so I think if maybe I could do a DIY, changing the USB conectors with the right cable soldering.

lagoausente said:
I want to take a Spdif output from a PCI, and conect it to an USB interface. I mean, this interface could be conected to the computer, and send receive audio with it´s driver, but for my applications I want to use the Pci audio driver, and take it´s SPDIF output to the USB interface, because it has preamp, and headphones amp.
So I want to convert from SPDIF to USB port, but not the pc port, instead the interface usb port. How can I do this?

If I take another interface like Roland UA1D, what has in/out SPDIF, and USB, would this just work, if I make a cable to match the USB conectors?

If you want a pro-audio solution the do it the right way and forget the toys.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/digi96/digi96pa.htm

Joe

most of your post didn't make sense

Well, I don´t find ofense when I tell, "you didn´t understand much" because as you tell, I could be explaining it bad.
But I find little ofense when you tell, most of my post doesn´t make sense.
Perhaps it wasn´t a good explanation.
What I want to do, is, take and SPDIF output, transform the data to USB, and put it to the Minime interface.
I was wondering if a SPDIF/USB interface could used to do the conversion, maybe is a stupid idea, I really haven´t knowledge about USB.
The Minime interface can be conected to a PC. So when play audio, the pc sends data to the mini-me, what convert it to audio.
What I want to do is, send the data from the SPDIF, instead of from the pc.
Do you undertand me now?

So it sounds like you want to go from spdif to usb so you can use a usb dac?

Just plug the usb into your computer and it will work. You are making this more difficult than it needs to be. The dac contains a chip that converts from usb to some digital audio format already. The soundcard is internal to the dac, so you simply ignore the soundcard on your computer.

If you only have a spdif signal, because there is no computer involved, then use a dac that accepts spdif.

lagoausente said:
I think you didn´t understand much.

If you are just trying to figure out how to change the playback drivers from being your internal card's spdif to being your mini-me's spdif then you are correct, I didn't understand AND this is a lot more BASIC than I could have ever imagined.

With Cubase SX you should just be able to select the playback devices from with Cubase (i.e. pick the output and input channels from its list). They don't need to be on the same physical device.

If you have some software that uses whatever is in the 'default playback' devices and whatever is in the 'default record device' as its I/O channels, again, they do not have to be on the same physical device. Select the output channel as follows...

Assuming someone has installed the correct drivers in your PC then all you need to do is: open 'control panel' -> 'sound and audio devices' -> select the 'audio' tab, select the default playback drop-down and choose the mini-me spdif channel (whatever the manual says it is). In the lower left corner check the box that says 'Use only default devices'.

If you don't have the correct drivers installed, go to Apogee's web-site and read the FAQs, or open the readme.txt on the Apogee driver disk. I believe that Apogee only supports USB 1.1 so using USB for more than reading your ADC input will probably kill your latency, for sure.

PC-Mag forums is also a good place for beginners to get this kind of information.

Again, good luck.

Joe

lagoausente said:

Well, I don´t find ofense when I tell, "you didn´t understand much" because as you tell, I could be explaining it bad.
But I find little ofense when you tell, most of my post doesn´t make sense.
Perhaps it wasn´t a good explanation.
What I want to do, is, take and SPDIF output, transform the data to USB, and put it to the Minime interface.
I was wondering if a SPDIF/USB interface could used to do the conversion, maybe is a stupid idea, I really haven´t knowledge about USB.
The Minime interface can be conected to a PC. So when play audio, the pc sends data to the mini-me, what convert it to audio.
What I want to do is, send the data from the SPDIF, instead of from the pc.
Do you undertand me now?

I am starting to think now (and this is scary)... The data going out the spdif output originates on your PC and is sent through xp's default playback device (in your case, to the spdif channel on your sound card). All you need to do is specify sending it to the mini-me as I described in my last post.

The other possibility is that you may have written a special DSP process that is running on your sound card, and you have set it up to send its data out the spdif channel on the card. If that is the case then the easiest thing to do is you will have to rewrite the DSP code to have it send the data back to the PC on a different input channel which you can then have your mixer route to whatever output channel (in the mini-me driver) you want, in your case, the spdif channel on the mini-me. That's also a pretty simple solution.

Joe

A little more explanation...

To your PC, s/pdif on your sound card or mini-me is just a 2-channel sound output device.

If you want your output to go out the sound card's spdif connector you select its channel as your playback device. If you want to have it go out the mini-me's spdif connectpr, you just select it as your output device.

Both your sound-card and your mini-me will have different transport mechanism (this is where pci on the sound-card, usb on the mini-me are involved), so how the output actually gets to the spdif connector is a funciton of the driver for each interface.

From your perspective, you will just need to specify the proper channel (from a drop-down list) in control panel's audio setup wizzard.

Joe

You can download schematics from my website. Look at the RIPPER page. I use the ADC to S/PDIF converter inside the PCM2906 before I send it to USB interface section. There is also an external S/PDIF input that can be used. I believe it is auto-sensing, in that when a valid external S/PDIF is present, an interna mux selects it, and not the internal ADC feed.

jh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.