Building a Dddac questions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was planning on getting the USB DAC with 12 stacked dac chips. I have a Odyssey Stratos amp with 47k input impedance. I was wondering the best way to output from the DDdac to the amp. I would prefer just using a pot instead of a buffer but will that work. Also a question does anyone have a design for a good power supply for these units or should I just run it off of a battery. Will the power supply effect sound quality? Thanks.

excetara2 said:
I was planning on getting the USB DAC with 12 stacked dac chips.

I just ordered one -- a 24 chip version assembled by Deode (not confident in my soldering skills!)

excetara2 said:
I have a Odyssey Stratos amp with 47k input impedance. I was wondering the best way to output from the DDdac to the amp. I would prefer just using a pot instead of a buffer but will that work.

Not sure myself. Doede told me that the output impedance for the 24-DAC version is 90 Ohm. Output Vrms is 1.6v. In my setup, I've also ordered a
Tubalizer buffer stage to put immediately after the DAC's output, but will experiment.
Suggest you mail Doede directly. He's very quick in answering (a noob myself, I asked lots of stupid questions, to which he replied fully and concluded "no stupid questions, only stupid answers I always say".
Sorry can't help you much on this.

excetara2 said:
Also a question does anyone have a design for a good power supply for these units or should I just run it off of a battery. Will the power supply effect sound quality? Thanks.

I've decided to put the Dac in one box and the power supply in another. In another box I'll put a battery and charge set-up. That way I can switch between both (in case of power cuts). For the mains power supply, I'm going for a 12v out switching power supply, and will experiment with caps on its output.

Do check out this site for pictures of implementation and interesting comments on power supply.

Why did you decide on the 24 over the 12? I will ask him about the second question. Are you going to use a battery or build one of the power supplys on the site. I think I am going to build that linear power supply to power it. It sounds like a linear and battery power supply sound the same to him. I will probably also try a battery. Now have to decide on one DAC chip or two. Also the best way to output it to the amp. Thanks a lot.

phn said:
I'm not butting in here to tell you what to do. But the highly regarded and higher priced 47 Labs Progression DAC has only one TDA1543 IC.

Doede Douma explains the use of multi-ICs on his website.
What is your point phn?
If you have heard multi-ic vs one chip versions you should just offer your impression, otherwise your statement is a bit confusing.

In my system with aleph x amps the original dddac mk1 works reasonably well with a passive pot but dynamics are definitely down so in this context not recommended.
Now driving my 300b set amp with it's high impedance 50k input pot is ok.Ditto for the myref rev.c chip amp but this has a pretty high impedance and good voltage gain stage .So it is difficult to say.Normally a high impedance low capacitance amp input stage should be no problem for the dddac.
As to the power supply the best ps is to my ears Andy Weekes version of the supereg ps (search the forum for this), next is batteries and then the rest.The ps can make quite a big difference to the final sound quality.
To my ears the dddac is even preferable to my Perpetual Technologies P1a-P3a-ps combo (modified with opa 627 + freds+ black gates) which had reviewers drooling a few years ago.

I thought my point was pretty obvious. That is, you can evidently get good result with just one chip. On the other hand, multiple chips do produce higher resolution. DIYers tend to go with the latter. My point is that there is an alternative to stacking chips, some reportedly go as far as 64! In the end, only the original poster can decide what he likes.

Of course, I could have mentioned that most mass-market CDs have less than 14 bits. 12 chips are enough for that. But, again, what is enough is not for me to decide.

Well,ok.
I don't think anybody doubts that there one chip nos dacs that may sound very good.However it is always helpful to members not to state something mundane and obvious but to offer some personal insight or private experience on the matter of e.g. one chip vs multi-chip dacs.As the thread starter is referring to a specific dac it would be helpful if you had some concrete opinions on its sound and function vs other similar units.

To be honest, I decided to go with the 24 chip version because my budget would stretch that far. In terms of price/performance, my guess is that the 12 and 24 options are probably the best. I would have been happy with the 12, but my budget could stretch to the 24. There you go, not very scientific I'm afraid. I only ordered the usb for input.

For the PS, I'm planning on using a three-box solution: one box for the DAC, one for a switching supply, and one for a battery/charger.
Like this I will be able to easily compare battery with the SMPS. Also, India has alot of power cuts, so I can use battery when needed but have the convenience of an SMPS too.

The Andy Weekes version of the supereg ps (I immediatel searched the forum) looks too complicated for me.... :bigeyes:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
excetara2 said:
Yeah, I think I am just getting the twelve USB version. Thanks for the advice. I am going to go with the super regulator. Know all I have to figure out is whether I can use a pot with my amp or I need a buffer stage/pre-amp. Thanks.

-Jeff

Jeff,

got your email and will answer that as well, but also liked to add some comments to the thread ....

The mk1 version (this answers the question a few posts ago) is with 8 chips parallel and with relatively simple power supply.

The mk2 is a modular system, where you can choose for SPDIF (reclocked) or USB inetrface (with or without Tent Clock).

The improvement over the mk1 version is not only the 12 chip, but also improved power supply.

The mk2 sounds more dynamic and has tighter bass.

if you start adding chips (in steps of 12 logically) soundstage, low level detail and spatial ambiance will improve every time. I stopped for practical reasons at 5 modules (60 chips)

All versions sounds very good and how many chips you use, is depending on budget and expectations. With 12 you have a great playing DAC, If you want to go for the last extra "bits", you add modules. Interesting enough: feedback learned, that those who added a second module later, came back for a third or fourth one :)

I agree on the power supplies. If you spend a good deal of time and/or money on a top powersupply it does a better job than batteries. But a battery costs 20 $ or so, so no comparison and still great result. Free choice again.....

Personally I believe it makes more sense (also confirmed from other DIY) that replacing the output Capacitors with "high end" stuff does a real great deal !! Next is replacing the Elotrlytes with BG's or similar .....

That is the fun of DIY !! :cool:

doede
PS: if the 47 sounds so good with one chip, imagine how multiple chips would sound with it ? That's also a way to see it :angel:

What do you do? Do you charge the battery every night or just after everytime you use it? How long do the Long batteries last with the discharging and charging of them? Also what solder do you guys use usually. I have a lot of normal lead based solder. I was wondering if you guys usually used that or use other solder or whether it matters. Thanks a lot.

-Jeff

Joined 2003
Paid Member
excetara2 said:
What do you do? Do you charge the battery every night or just after everytime you use it? How long do the Long batteries last with the discharging and charging of them? Also what solder do you guys use usually. I have a lot of normal lead based solder. I was wondering if you guys usually used that or use other solder or whether it matters. Thanks a lot.

-Jeff

I have the charger connected to the chassis as well and when I switch of the DAC, automatically the battery charges... see my documents on my website !! it is all there .... :att'n:

how long they last ? see my website as well... but for now: for every 1Ah capacity 1,5 hours for one module as a rule of thumb. A 24 dac will run 7 hours on a 10 Ah battery so to speak

Just "normal" solder you can get in every electronics (online)shop ....

doede

excetara2 said:
I was planning on getting the USB DAC with 12 stacked dac chips. I have a Odyssey Stratos amp with 47k input impedance. I was wondering the best way to output from the DDdac to the amp. I would prefer just using a pot instead of a buffer but will that work. Also a question does anyone have a design for a good power supply for these units or should I just run it off of a battery. Will the power supply effect sound quality? Thanks.

I'm running a 16 chip DDDAC directly to Odyssey Mono Extremes, using some 5uF Auricaps. Works just fine.

use the batteries - it keeps your power clean for the rest of the system that hangs on the AC, especially with just 12 chips, you really don't have any playing time issues even with a pretty small battery.

Peter

maxlorenz said:
Hi excetara2,

I believe a superreg, like ALWSR, won't deliver enough current to the DAC tower. (?)

Good luck
M

There are some that do - I'm experimenting with a cheaper solution right now - LT1963 - pretty much a super regulator Lite in one part. Haven't had time to implement it yet, but these things go up to 3amps and cost $5 a piece.

Peter

Hi Peter :)

I'm experimenting with a cheaper solution right now - LT1963 - pretty much a super regulator Lite in one part. Haven't had time to implement it yet, but these things go up to 3amps and cost $5 a piece.

Very interesting. I will check this. Please post your results and implementation. :angel:

As you may recall, I own a DDDAC1543 MKI, upgraded to 16 chips (and some other tweaks), now with big copper heatsink, to avoid fan (heatsink is 41ºC and top DAC chip is 51ºC). Did you make any main changes to the circuit to go to 16 chips or you just added the other 8 chip tower?

Thanks
M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.