Need help to connect CEC TL-51X CD transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just bought a CEC TL-51X CD transport today but my Dack 2.0 DAC cannot detect signal from this transport. There is nothing wrong with the transport or DAC since both of them work with other gears.

1. What is the problem?
2. How to overcome this?

Thank you

I wrote an email to CEC Japan on Saturday night and they replied on Sunday morning at 10am telling me to contact their agent in China. Called the engineer in the afternoon and situation solved by shorting the output pin before plugging into the DAC. This is an unmatch design between CEC and some older design DAC. The engineer said he can change the circuit for me if needed.

The CEC is now powered up. The sound is great even without burn-in.

Appreciate the service of CEC Japan and his agent in China that solve the problem in such a prompt manner.

:)

Thanks for the reply. While the screw driver trick did get a lock, I still don't get any sound.

I know the transport works, as I used it with another D/A and I know the D/A works, as I used it with a different digital source. The D/A is a Pass Labs D-1.

I received this from CEC today. Looks like the CEC needs a little work inside.

"When TL51X detects a DA converter via digital cables it makes the output, but some DA converters may have no such standard trigger in the digital input circuit.

If you may put 1k ohm resistor in your digital cable, the condition will mostly solved. Our service department for domestic (Japanese) customers is adding this 1k ohm resistor inside of the CD transport on digital output board instead of outer cable.

Location of new resister to be mounted:
RCA (inside): one resistor between center (cold) and one four corner (hot)

XLR (inside): total two resistors, one each between ground and hot/cold"

It seems simple enough. I have never soldered anything of value in my life. Is there any special sort of solder I should use?

If you connect via COAX some DACs not lock because COAX-output of CEC-TL51 have low output signal.
It`s known problem :)

Simply method to solve problem: use AES output via cross AES-COAX transformer.

Part of TL51 output circuit attached ;)

Attachments

• tl51-out.gif
    tl51-out.gif
    68.6 KB · Views: 387
My job was simple. While the transport is turned on, use a screw driver to short the center pin and ground of the coaxiel cable, plug the cable to the D/A which is already at on mode. Press the play button and there it works. However, you have to repeat the same procedure if you turned off your CD player.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.