Sony optical pick-up KSS 273 A

Hello, I'm a newcomer. I have CDP XA 7 ES . Could you help me to find out .Is there any replacement for KSS-273 A ?
They say that CDP XA 55 EX has this pick-up but the other source says that it has KSS 273 B. What is the difference between these optical units?
Other words Is it possible to replace 273 A to 273 B?
Thanks.

cdun said:
Hello, I'm a newcomer. I have CDP XA 7 ES . Could you help me to find out .Is there any replacement for KSS-273 A ?
They say that CDP XA 55 EX has this pick-up but the other source says that it has KSS 273 B. What is the difference between these optical units?
Other words Is it possible to replace 273 A to 273 B?
Thanks.

Not the KSS-273 but when sont used the KSS-210 and KSS-212 the difference between A and B was negligable. One was designed more for portable devices but both would work in either.

Looking for an answer for my Q in other forums I have find out that 273A can be replace with 273B.
But there are 3 part # of KSS-273B: 882001402, 882001413
and 882001414.
Does anybody know what does it mean and are there any difference between them?
Thanks in advance.

Hello everybody,

longer time I cannot find mentioned (-part for Sony CDP-XA50ES):
LASER PICK UP KSS-273B
Sony Part Number: 882001402
Does anybody knows how to reach them, I need more pieces!!!

Thanks

R

Attachments

• resize of resize of sony cd 50_pic24.jpg
    resize of resize of sony cd 50_pic24.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 842
Excellent video! That point of view is not usually possible. I've been wondering why Sony mechs can have fits of noisiness and periods of calm.

At 3:10 on the video, the focus motor is very busy bobbing the head up and down, but later on without the disk being touched, it is motionless whilst reading the same part of the disc. It looks like the CD can be tilted by the jogging of the sled.

The relationship between the two radial drives, sled and head, is quite entertaining. A similar view of a sled with a linear motor would be good. Viewed from underneath, they go through episodes of wobbling for no apparent reason, but I can't see the disk or the laser head at the same time...infuriating. An endoscope would be useful...

Attachments

• endoscopy-digestion3.jpg
    endoscopy-digestion3.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Not as I know. I am still fighting to replace the laser diodes on old pickups.
BUT: are you shure the diode is really dead? Can you measure this?

BTW, there is a shop in Germany, In Bonn, "Haus der Musik" The owner seems to use the shop only for lowering his tax payments
as he also owns the complete building in Beethovengasse, "in bester Lage."
He still sells HiFi-gear that was bought by his father. I bought a new, originally packed CDP-101 there in 2014. So this player was in a "Dornröschenschlaf"
for about 31 years. I saw a CDP-XA50ES at display as well, I think in black, but it was not cheap...
Frankly, the owner is an idiot, he did promise me a "new" Sony CDP-102 for about almost a year and always had excuses why he was not able to search the storage.
After this year he proposed to ask other shop owners if they had one, not realizing that we were talking about a thirty year old player....

Last edited:
You risk serious damage to the suspension trying to remove the objective lens.

Check the eye pattern level on a 'scope, with several discs.

Don't always assume the laser is at fault, as the product ages there are other areas that can influence correct operation, from a damaged FPC to ageing smd caps on the servo board.

ok,
i have just now removed transport,there is a little brass wheel that turns when the disc is being played or track selection,this was gummed up,i have freed it up and lubed with sewing machine oil,i will put back togeather an see how it goes,
if no good out will come the oscilloscope,
mike

ps , spindle bearing was a little stiff so put 1/4 drop on it and alot freer now