which (cheap) DVD player as CD transport??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I sucessfully built an DAC (CS8420, DF1704, PCM1704) which sounds good to my ears.

It works well with my modded Marantz CD67. But I wanted to sell and use any DVD (video) player as CD transport. The cheap Tohiba DVD player I have does not satisfy me: it is noisy (power supply and drive) and does not read copy protected CDs.

Now my question is: which DVD player is silent, reads all sorts of CDs (and plays also a DVD Video once a year ...) ... no matter if used or new.

Thanks for yur help
Christian

Re: Re: which (cheap) DVD player as CD transport??

krishu said:

This should be understand this way:

It works well with my modded Marantz CD67 used as cd transport only . But I wanted to sell the marantz player and use any DVD (video) player as CD transport instead.

Cheers
Christian

bear in mind that part of the sound quality of your system is due to the Marantz. My experience with combo drives is not so positive when it comes to "transport quality"

best

Hi
I have bought a Panasonic DVD-F87
it comes in black or silver

Reads all discs I have thrown at it!
CD mode select (for changer) as well video shut down is nice for audio sessions.

Has DVD-Audio as well as a HDCD decoder
5,1 as well as 2 channel audio DAC
SPDIF no optical output
Sound is very nice at 16bit/44,1KHz with built in 24bit/196KHz DAC's
no DVD+R/W capability (who cares)
No SACD (who cares)

Now this is a 5-disk changer and is very quite once the disc has been read.

Re: Re: Re: which (cheap) DVD player as CD transport??

Guido Tent said:

bear in mind that part of the sound quality of your system is due to the Marantz. My experience with combo drives is not so positive when it comes to "transport quality"

best

Hello Guido,

BTW, the DAC uses a Tent Clock ... I'll write you an email regarding a problem concerning this.

I know the CDM9 is good but e.g. a pioneer dvd player i had once gave good results as a cd transport. Unfortunately I do not have it any longer and it is not cheap ... Also I do not remember wheter it was noisy or not.

best
Christian

> Now my question is: which DVD player is silent, reads all sorts of CDs (and plays
> also a DVD Video once a year ...) ... no matter if used or new.

The Pioneer DV575a was responsible for the sale of quite a few expensive CD players a couple of years ago when people bought it to play the odd DVD-A, SACD or video disk and compared it with their audio CD player and heard no difference. It was certainly cheap but I cannot comment first hand on the replacements since. It is likely that the current cheapest Pioneer DVD-A/SACD for about $100 is a good bet.

he Pioneer DV575a was responsible for the sale of quite a few expensive CD players a couple of years ago when people bought it to play the odd DVD-A, SACD or video disk and compared it with their audio CD player and heard no difference. It was certainly cheap but I cannot comment first hand on the replacements since. It is likely that the current cheapest Pioneer DVD-A/SACD for about $100 is a good bet.

Agreed:yes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.