which (cheap) DVD player as CD transport?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2006, 10:58 AM   #1
krishu is offline krishu  Europe
diyAudio Member

Question which (cheap) DVD player as CD transport??

Hello,

I sucessfully built an DAC (CS8420, DF1704, PCM1704) which sounds good to my ears.

It works well with my modded Marantz CD67. But I wanted to sell and use any DVD (video) player as CD transport. The cheap Tohiba DVD player I have does not satisfy me: it is noisy (power supply and drive) and does not read copy protected CDs.

Now my question is: which DVD player is silent, reads all sorts of CDs (and plays also a DVD Video once a year ...) ... no matter if used or new.

Thanks for yur help
Christian
Old 6th July 2006, 12:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: which (cheap) DVD player as CD transport??

Quote:
Originally posted by krishu
It works well with my modded Marantz CD67. But I wanted to sell and use any DVD (video) player as CD transport.

This should be understand this way:

It works well with my modded Marantz CD67 used as cd transport only . But I wanted to sell the marantz player and use any DVD (video) player as CD transport instead.

Cheers
Christian
Old 6th July 2006, 09:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: which (cheap) DVD player as CD transport??

Quote:
Originally posted by krishu

This should be understand this way:

It works well with my modded Marantz CD67 used as cd transport only . But I wanted to sell the marantz player and use any DVD (video) player as CD transport instead.

Cheers
Christian
bear in mind that part of the sound quality of your system is due to the Marantz. My experience with combo drives is not so positive when it comes to "transport quality"

best
Old 7th July 2006, 02:13 AM   #4
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi
I have bought a Panasonic DVD-F87
it comes in black or silver

Reads all discs I have thrown at it!
CD mode select (for changer) as well video shut down is nice for audio sessions.

Has DVD-Audio as well as a HDCD decoder
5,1 as well as 2 channel audio DAC
SPDIF no optical output
Sound is very nice at 16bit/44,1KHz with built in 24bit/196KHz DAC's
no DVD+R/W capability (who cares)
No SACD (who cares)

Now this is a 5-disk changer and is very quite once the disc has been read.
Old 7th July 2006, 07:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: which (cheap) DVD player as CD transport??

Quote:
Originally posted by Guido Tent

bear in mind that part of the sound quality of your system is due to the Marantz. My experience with combo drives is not so positive when it comes to "transport quality"

best

Hello Guido,

BTW, the DAC uses a Tent Clock ... I'll write you an email regarding a problem concerning this.

I know the CDM9 is good but e.g. a pioneer dvd player i had once gave good results as a cd transport. Unfortunately I do not have it any longer and it is not cheap ... Also I do not remember wheter it was noisy or not.

best
Christian
Old 8th July 2006, 10:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

> Now my question is: which DVD player is silent, reads all sorts of CDs (and plays
> also a DVD Video once a year ...) ... no matter if used or new.

The Pioneer DV575a was responsible for the sale of quite a few expensive CD players a couple of years ago when people bought it to play the odd DVD-A, SACD or video disk and compared it with their audio CD player and heard no difference. It was certainly cheap but I cannot comment first hand on the replacements since. It is likely that the current cheapest Pioneer DVD-A/SACD for about $100 is a good bet.
Old 9th July 2006, 03:55 AM   #7
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Quote:
he Pioneer DV575a was responsible for the sale of quite a few expensive CD players a couple of years ago when people bought it to play the odd DVD-A, SACD or video disk and compared it with their audio CD player and heard no difference. It was certainly cheap but I cannot comment first hand on the replacements since. It is likely that the current cheapest Pioneer DVD-A/SACD for about $100 is a good bet.
Agreed

Hide this!Advertise here!