diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   193L in a Modded DAC-AH.. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/82300-193l-modded-dac-ah.html)

JandG 29th June 2006 04:23 AM

193L in a Modded DAC-AH..

I installed a Hammond 193L in a output stage by-passed DAC-AH, the pre modded version, with Mundorf's in C1 & C2 spot & other little mods. Off R35 & 36 & out thru 2.2uf Auricaps. Anyway I dilled for the leads for the choke on the back panel, bolted rubber feet the 5.5 lbs choke & put it on top of the DAC-AH, fired it up & dang.........this darn thing works & works good, betters the mids & top end, especially the top, more detai...easilly heard, I have pulled my .47's Auricaps I had in pairs accroos my digital gear because of this performance. Been running this way for 4days & still getting better. It is a sure try for modded DAC's for sure. A well spent $ 40.00. I still can't believe the dang thing worked. Dynamics are better also which is a huge plus to me.

singleended40 12th September 2006 07:56 PM

Modification of Lite Dac Ah

Hi Jandg,

How did you install Hammond 193L in output stage bypassed tha Dac Ah? Would you be more specific at what position since I have a schematic? Thanks, Tan.

Ruach 13th September 2006 01:53 AM

This in interesting.

I know of some Lite DAC AH modders in Singapore who uses output transformers in their DAC AH. The feedback on the mod is the same as JandG described.

I will take a looks at the schematics tonight and examine how you can install this mod.

JandG 13th September 2006 03:04 AM

I would be curiouse of how to do this also on the DAC-AH

my mods are complete by-pass & cap coupled..I use the 193L across the mains. I would be very intrested in the how's of this for future project, mine is nothing short of excellent as is, but I am a big fan of transformer's in these type of usage.
J & G

Puffin 13th September 2006 07:21 AM

Can we have some pictures of the mods ? I have a Dac Ah which I have yet to mod.

singleended40 13th September 2006 06:16 PM

Modded Lite Dac Ah

Hi Everyone,

I saw a picture from a japanese modder. He modded with two 140Q chokes at the output stage and also installed an oscilloscope at the position of CS 8414. I will copy and paste the pictures soon.

singleended40 13th September 2006 06:25 PM

Re: I would be curiouse of how to do this also on the DAC-AH

Quote:

Originally posted by JandG
my mods are complete by-pass & cap coupled..I use the 193L across the mains. I would be very intrested in the how's of this for future project, mine is nothing short of excellent as is, but I am a big fan of transformer's in these type of usage.
J & G

Hi J & G,

I have checked my Lite Dac Ah and found that at C1 & C2 has values of 103J/100 (in blue). What are the high grade caps would you prefer since you state in your forum "your choice of favorite caps." What did you replace them?
For the bypassing with two 0.47uF/600V from the switch lead two the NEUTRAL of IEC and once again the Hammond 193L one lead to HOT and the other to NEUTRAL. As I said I am a DIY amateur and just want to follow what you show. I do not have an idea which one is Hot and which one is Neutral since the IEC has two upper(same line) and one is lower alone. The reason I am asking this is because I do not want to mess up the work as I always assume that I know and did so many time before to my amp. Thanks so much for your time.

JandG 14th September 2006 12:16 AM

pic's.......

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2..._/DSC02412.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2..._/DSC02366.jpg

C1 & C2 are .001uf Mundorf silver supreme's & the outputs by-pass caps are 2.2uf 450v Auricaps.. There is 2-.47uf 600v Auricaps across mains, as well as a Hammond 193L, I did lots lof listeniing with differant configuration on the power & this I like & have no want to change.. Acyually haven't even touched the DAC in a long while because it just makes me happy now, with all types of music. I think I have better pic's & will post them this weekend when I find them. For the money, it is a steal as far as return in sonics.
J & G

singleended40 14th September 2006 03:29 AM

Modded Lite Dac Ah

Hi J & G,

Thanks again for your time.
I can see in your pictures that you have Auricap 2.2uF/200V but you said 2.2uF/450V. Does it make any differences? Come back to the soldering of two Auricaps 2.2uF I can see clearly the two red leads had been soldered to positive RCAs but I did not see clearly the three grey leads where were solded to?
At the C1 & C2 you said you used .001uF but I do not know what voltage on them.
Sorry for those beginner's questions. I have ordered 193L and Auricaps and will start doing my job by next week. I will let you know the results.

Best regards,
Tan.;)

JandG 14th September 2006 04:00 AM

sorry, I ment to say 200v....

Yes 450v was a mistake..& I don't know off hand what voltage the Mundorf's are, I will have to look at note's or crack it open.. The grey leads you see are for the old output stage, silver & teflon. They are not in use. I installed a new set of RCA's directly above the stock existing one's, If you install a new set of RCA's as I did, you will retain your old output stage & can use it at anytime, by simply using those rca's...I only steal ground off the existing RCA's & that is it, no ill effects by doing this...dead quite.
You will like the mod no dought in my mind at all....cheap , very effective.............