193L in a Modded DAC-AH..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I installed a Hammond 193L in a output stage by-passed DAC-AH, the pre modded version, with Mundorf's in C1 & C2 spot & other little mods. Off R35 & 36 & out thru 2.2uf Auricaps. Anyway I dilled for the leads for the choke on the back panel, bolted rubber feet the 5.5 lbs choke & put it on top of the DAC-AH, fired it up & dang.........this darn thing works & works good, betters the mids & top end, especially the top, more detai...easilly heard, I have pulled my .47's Auricaps I had in pairs accroos my digital gear because of this performance. Been running this way for 4days & still getting better. It is a sure try for modded DAC's for sure. A well spent $ 40.00. I still can't believe the dang thing worked. Dynamics are better also which is a huge plus to me.

This in interesting.

I know of some Lite DAC AH modders in Singapore who uses output transformers in their DAC AH. The feedback on the mod is the same as JandG described.

I will take a looks at the schematics tonight and examine how you can install this mod.

I would be curiouse of how to do this also on the DAC-AH

my mods are complete by-pass & cap coupled..I use the 193L across the mains. I would be very intrested in the how's of this for future project, mine is nothing short of excellent as is, but I am a big fan of transformer's in these type of usage.
J & G

Re: I would be curiouse of how to do this also on the DAC-AH

JandG said:
my mods are complete by-pass & cap coupled..I use the 193L across the mains. I would be very intrested in the how's of this for future project, mine is nothing short of excellent as is, but I am a big fan of transformer's in these type of usage.
J & G

Hi J & G,

I have checked my Lite Dac Ah and found that at C1 & C2 has values of 103J/100 (in blue). What are the high grade caps would you prefer since you state in your forum "your choice of favorite caps." What did you replace them?
For the bypassing with two 0.47uF/600V from the switch lead two the NEUTRAL of IEC and once again the Hammond 193L one lead to HOT and the other to NEUTRAL. As I said I am a DIY amateur and just want to follow what you show. I do not have an idea which one is Hot and which one is Neutral since the IEC has two upper(same line) and one is lower alone. The reason I am asking this is because I do not want to mess up the work as I always assume that I know and did so many time before to my amp. Thanks so much for your time.

pic's.......

DSC02412.jpg

DSC02366.jpg

C1 & C2 are .001uf Mundorf silver supreme's & the outputs by-pass caps are 2.2uf 450v Auricaps.. There is 2-.47uf 600v Auricaps across mains, as well as a Hammond 193L, I did lots lof listeniing with differant configuration on the power & this I like & have no want to change.. Acyually haven't even touched the DAC in a long while because it just makes me happy now, with all types of music. I think I have better pic's & will post them this weekend when I find them. For the money, it is a steal as far as return in sonics.
J & G

Modded Lite Dac Ah

Hi J & G,

Thanks again for your time.
I can see in your pictures that you have Auricap 2.2uF/200V but you said 2.2uF/450V. Does it make any differences? Come back to the soldering of two Auricaps 2.2uF I can see clearly the two red leads had been soldered to positive RCAs but I did not see clearly the three grey leads where were solded to?
At the C1 & C2 you said you used .001uF but I do not know what voltage on them.
Sorry for those beginner's questions. I have ordered 193L and Auricaps and will start doing my job by next week. I will let you know the results.

Best regards,
Tan.;)

sorry, I ment to say 200v....

Yes 450v was a mistake..& I don't know off hand what voltage the Mundorf's are, I will have to look at note's or crack it open.. The grey leads you see are for the old output stage, silver & teflon. They are not in use. I installed a new set of RCA's directly above the stock existing one's, If you install a new set of RCA's as I did, you will retain your old output stage & can use it at anytime, by simply using those rca's...I only steal ground off the existing RCA's & that is it, no ill effects by doing this...dead quite.
You will like the mod no dought in my mind at all....cheap , very effective.............

Modded Lite Dac Ah

J & G,

I just got 193L and the auricaps 2.2uF and .47uF and starting to mod my Dac Ah. Let me repeat all the steps. Correct me if I am wrong somewhere. Firstly the output stage and secondly the power supply stage.
1. Two 2.2uF/200V from R35, R36 (red leads) to RCAs extra (black leads)
2. Two .47uF/600V from switch (red leads) to neutral and hot IEC (balck leads). One lead of choke 193L to neutral and the other to hot IEC. Instead of using 2x.47uF/600V from hot to neutral @IEC could you use one 1.0uF cap?
3. Replace C1&C2 with Mundorf Silver/Gold .001uF.
What else do I miss? Thanks.

Very close....

You have it all correct except the lead colors on the Auricaps.
for the 2.2uf signal caps, it is black leads to r35&36 & red leads to RCA's, then on the 2-.47 Auricaps it is Black leads to neutral & red leads to hot, you have the 193L correct. You can use a 1uf caps for the power tweek, but if you have the .47uf Auricaps, I would advise using both of those, Attach the 2-.47 back leads to IEC then attach red leads just before the fuse on the leads that are just coming out of switch, works great & perfect room there. Make a good solder joint from top side when doing the R35-R36 lead attachment, hold the Auricap leads there dead still for 30 seconds after you make the solder. it will be strong & stay. nice thing is you use the Auricap leads only & no other wire. & yes you have C1 & C2 correct.. You are almost there.
J & G

Modded Lite Dac Ah

J & G,

Thanks again your quick response.
I have another question for the 193L(Yes it is the heavier choke). There are two leads come out of the choke and which one should go to Hot and which one goes to Neutral @IEC? Does it have to be Auricaps for this modification? Have you tried the NOS West-Cap and/or Guderman? Thanks, Tan.

On the 193l leads, I can't remember, which is which, I don't think it matters on the choke. I will have to check on that. I will have to look at notes. You can use other caps, but make sure they are rated high in voltage. I oersonally have NOT tried any others for that application..

Congrats JandG! You've built yourself a power conditioner. You do realize its acting as such on all the mains powered components pluged into its mains circuit, not just your dac, as those 'accross the line' components, the 2 .47 Auricaps and the choke,are also seen as 'accross the line' by all the other components powered by that mains circuits It makes it a bit difficult to discern exactly which component is benefiting and by how much.

cool.........

1st I have heard of that, ..as in filtering all my components,,..Guess it is time for isolation trannies..or something similar. I have placed similar set ups on tube pre's , tube amp & the only component that made a differance worth while to me was directly at the digital source...I just go with what I hear & take notes..wouldn't what your saying be the same as saying that my dedicated lines do know good, if that is the case I do not buy that at all. ...Mine non dedicated lines are noisy as heck...to easy to hear & drives me crazy man....*s*

Done modded Lite Dac Ah

Hi J&G,

I have done modded my Lite Dac Ah with your version last night and have to admit this is absolute stunning. I love my music so much. I have question for you is @C1 & C2 you told me you got Mundorf 0.001uF but I could not find any smaller than 0.01uF. Therefore, I use two NOS Sprague Vitamin Q 0.0015uF/100V. They work pretty well and sound musical and clean. Thanks for your information.

Regards,
Tan

I am glad it sounds good.

Did you run the 193L...? ..I will check on the ..01 Mundorf.I pop the top on the DAC....I still have done nothing to my DAC-AH since doing what you have just did, not 1 up-grade since on source.Get some hrs on it & it will get even better. I like Vitamine Q, I buy & use them alot on all kinds of things. Good stuff.!!!!!!!! I a few differant large DEW mag German full ranges coming from Germany & some Large DEW Saba's from US that I can't wait to get my hands on for experiments...I feel like a little kid some times......Heck I am a 40 year old kid for sure..There is many a person running this unit this way now & all report the same.. I am waiting for the bad one, as of yet, NONE....Tell some more of it when you get some more listening time, I am very intrested..
J & G

Done modded....

J & G,

I am listening right now to the modded DAC AH. I do not know how long do the Auricaps take to fully brake in? How will they affect the sound later after braking in? Do you know? I had tried NOS vintage oil caps while waiting Auricaps. The comparison is NOS caps have more soft and detailed sound whereas Auricaps have more punchy but less details. They both are very musical. I hope it will be much much better than other DAC I have had before. What do you think? Any more suggestions to take the DAC AH to the next higher level? Thanks,

Tan:D

Choice is yours on caps....

The oilers might be the flavor you like. Auricaps in my experience take a long time 100hrs & almost 200 & done. I would just listen to it for now & enjoy. The only real upward mod I can think of is maybe gong battery & there is a person named XaudiomanX on AA that is running it this way, also by-passed.I have not heard it so I do not know if it is better though.
J & G

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.