TAS1020A vs PCM270x

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The TAS1020A doesn't have an easy I2S output, so you would have to code it into the uController... or maybe ask Audiotrak if they will give you their code ;)

PCM270X is just so easy to interface to a DAC, but if you are good at coding and want to spend lots of time writing... go for it. I would love to use the result, add my own code to the uController to run other various things off USB (Like a display, or power switches, or ...???) but I don't want to take on the task of interfacing this to a DAC.

OK, this chip looks interesting... Let me tell you the problems I see.

1) Interface an EEPROM to the chip (No big deal, but another part)
2) Program the EEPROM when the MCU boots the first time, using windows DFU protocol (Actually this is nice because you could upgrade this to do more right in Windows)

3) The big one, where is the firmware? Maybe if you ask TI they will give you the EVM board firmware, or even better point you to the 4 channel firmware... I can't find it on TI's site, and it looks like they moved on to better chips?

Which leads me to this chip:
TUSB3200

Now it has 8 channels, supports several I2S streams and even seems to have a firmware development kit you can download. I would be willing to help with this project, sounds fun...

For ease of building the TAS1020A is so simple and needs almost nothing... just plug it into your USB and i2S comes out :)

Only needs a few HEX numbers? Maybe for USB ID and standard things, but I2S out with multichannel doesn't look like a few HEX numbers to me. You need the firmware from them, but I don't see it anywhere... point it out to me and I will have a look.

Also, the PCM270X is supposed to have much less jitter(?) than the achronous (? did I get the spelling right) that these chips output.

Find the firmware, and I think you will find the TAS1020A needs quite a bit of programming (Also the TUSB3200 gives you examples to start from, so it would really just be code editing and not lots of C writing).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.