Sony CDP270 or LC7881 DAC schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jean-Paul,

Thanks for looking. I have found numerous links to the LC7881 but not any chip pinouts. At this point I think it's better to put in a better DAC. Of course I'm not sure if this Sony CDP-270 player is worth the upgrade. I have lots of experiance in design and prototype/test but I've never done a DAC upgrade. Seems like a fun project. Do you think this CD player is worth upgrading or should I look for better quality player?

Thanks, Bruce

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I don't know this specific player Bruce. I googled and found out it's a 200 disk changer !
I wouldn't bet my money on the mechanical quality of the mechanism. Till now most changers I've seen were rather poor designed mechanically.
If it functions OK you can upgrade the DAC if you like. If well designed the results of the new DAC will be a lot better than the original LC7881. You can see it as a project you can learn a lot from.
With the experience you get from the surgery the next maybe more exclusive/expensive cdplayer will be easier to do. And it really is fun to do !

Sony CDP270 DAC upgrade project

Jean-Paul,

The CDP270 I have is clearly a single disk player, although I've seen several links that label it as a 200 disk changer. http://www.allsearch.de/soundcheckhifi/images/cdp270_1.jpg

I think replacing DAC is a good way to get experiance before I tackle a top-end upgrade. In it's original design it has 4 times oversampling digital filiter and digital de-emphasis. My next step is chosing a new DAC and peripheral chips. I opened the player and took a look at the PCB. There is a unused square cut-out in the back panel next to the left and right RCAs. There is no connector soldered in the three PCB pads below the cut-out. The signal trace goes from the pads to the CXD1125 DSP chip. Could this be a digital output that's just unused on this model?

I will do some reading of the many excellent posts on this forum regarding upgrade possibilities. Any suggestions on what chips to use? If the unused connector is a digital output would it be better to build and external DAC?

Thanks, Bruce

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Could this be a digital output that's just unused on this model?

Hello Bruce, you are probably right. I advise you to buy the service documentation for your model from Sony. I think they are around 10 US $. Then you now what you're doing in the player ;)

An external DAC suffers a lot more from jitter than an internal one.
I would build it in the player, that way you don't have to go SPDIF.

Concerning chips: the BB ( now TI ) PCM1704 and the DF1704 filter are popular around here. Drawback is their SSOP case ( SMD ). Other good but hard to get ones are PCM63 and the filter DF1700 ( old but good ) Since I am contaminated with the non OS virus I am not the best person to advise you on this matter....

LC7881

Regards

Attachments

• lc7881.jpg
    lc7881.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,399
Idea is like that ...There is Luxman LV 113 amplifier that includes a dac based on the LC7881 but the specific IC is branded YAMAHA rather than sanyo ...

as is the DAC sounds quiet nice and since the Luxman is totally busted while the DAC is rather old but still operates almost ok

Idea was to remove the dac from inside resolder and recap create a very nice dedicated power supply and use it as a stand alone device .

What do you think ?

some more update ...

Just hardwired the DAC as is inside the Luxman with the existing power supply housed in the existing wiring case and so on

used with optical input and play MP3 from my PC 320kbs .

i actually made a test putting next to each other the Luxman and a City Pulse DA2.03e DAC Rush series but the deference didn't actually blow my mind ... the 2 things actually sound almost alike if there is any difference its really hard to notice

can anybody tell me why ?

oki doki
removed the dac board built a beefy power supply around it replaced a couple of op amps and a few caps all created in a mess see photo ...

need some help now ... need info on what is the emphasis circuit ?
other than that it plays very fine i think and after a 3 hours listening and testing i think that it plays better than the City Pulse DA2.03e DAC Rush series ...dont know why but i think it sounds better

here is a pic ( i will house it some days later but i am expecting new trafo and laser mark for the housing )

DAC.JPG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.