Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post, but anyway...

I was wondering if anyone has the service manual to the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V1 as I was looking to get one of the version one's because of their reduced price at the moment.

I know there has been a few problems with the version one so also wanted to know if they are because of a major design flaw or could be fixed quite easily or not.

Or would I be better off just buying something like a NAD or Marantz CD5400 or CD5001.

Thanks Very Much

Hi, sorry i dont have the service manuals i think they would be very hard to obtain.
I have the 540c (the model below 640c) and have had no problems at all.
It is slightly lower performance and a lot cheaper and it sounds great so the 640 can only be better. I was under the impression when i bought mine that the equivalnent marantz cd players were not as good.
Certainly the build quality of the cambride is nicer with a heavy metal front panel and a nice remote.

Craig

I had a 640C V1. The problem they had was mains transformer hum and some had problems with reading discs, but not all. Oddly enough when using an outboard Dac with it, the digital signal would cut off when the drawer was opened. There was clearly something not right about that.

I got Richer Sounds to change it for the V2. This is a much better player (in my opinion) It has a much better mains transformer and it does not have any Digital Out problems. It is a pity that Cambridge Audio ditched their Forum. However it was extremely enlightening whilst it was up and running. The "Cambridge Guru" as he referred to himself was possibly too forthcoming with details of the problems they were having with their products and I think the management muist have got a bit worried that the public "knew too much". There was a guy who was telling THEM how to configure the 640H Hard Disk server in order to overcome problems they were having with it !

If you look at the reviews of the 640C v2 (Hi Fi World/ Hi Fi Choice) you will see that it is highly regarded for a "budget" player.

Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2.0 Problems

Hi everyone, I need help from some experience guys to solve my Azur 640C V2.O problems.

I just bought a used unit and after playing for some time, it can't turn "ON" and there is no sound coming out from both channels.

I have limited knowledge about repair amp, but after open the casing and "pop" around, I can safely said the power amp section is working fine.

The actual problems laid from the input to the remote control volume section- pre-amp section..

Is there anyone who can send me some of the pre-amp section electronic diagram ??

Also I notice that the moment I press any of the selection buttons, the amp will be power on from stand-by mode and the power LED will turn brighter, but LED on any of the selection button is not light up....!! Any suggestion what to check?

When the power LED is brighter, the remote volume control is function and can be turn by the remote handset.

HELP

:bawling:

cambridge audio azur 640c v1.0 problem

hi, i dont know if this is where i should be posting this...

but here goes.... i recently purchased a 640c v1 off ebay as faulty. i paid 21pounds for it!!!
the issue is that there is no "output" via the normal outputs but it works fine when connected to a dac??? also the remote is fussy about when it wants to work??? are these two problems related or is it just bad quality control?
i have read that cambridge have had problems with the "first gen" 640c's etc. i would like to get it sorted (even though my soldering's not great!)
can anyone help me???
:xeye:

jimmytwos. If I were you I would take the lid off and have a poke around inside. It may be something simple like a loose connection or connecting block. Cambridge used to like using lots of ribbon cables connected to the various circuit boards. If this doesn't get it going, you will need to find out why there is no audio output at the analogue outs.

i've got the 840'c and mine dropped the analogue outputs one day. (after i'd dropped it)

traced it back to the output block, just a bad joint to the rca block they use, so i ripped it out and replaced it with two seperate WBTS's.

the rca block has a seperate 'case ground' on it, so if you do replace it be sure to wire it back to the casework.

jimmytwos. Your 640C can play with external DAC indiate that its digital output and front stage are still functioning, the problem should be come from the on board DAC part and the opamp filter part or the last part - the ouput relay.
I've got a 640C V2 for one year, I find that the regulators used for the DAC and opamps are mounted without heat-sinks and the regulators were heated up to a dangerous temperature (about 60
degree C ) within 10 min. after power on. So I added heat-sinks for them for safty, if not so, I think these regulator will have thermal break down shortly! In your case, one or more regulators in your machine may be burned out and caused the DAC or opamp to stop functioning. So you better check if the DC supply to the DAC (from +5V regulator) and Opamps (from +/- 15V regulators) are normal before any further investigation. Good luck!

hi , thanks to everyone who gave advice, have been away so didn't get a chance to leave update.
anyway i had the lid off, eventually because i had to go and buy a small torx driver to undo the tiny screws! i had a poke around but nothing seemed amiss apart from the "fake torroid"???? i removed the last board with the anolouge outs on and checked connections etc but it all seems to be intact.
i noticed a clicking noise when i skipped tracks and in my stupidity thought it was a fault, but i think its some kind of muting relay but now i suppose my next step is to get the meter out and start fault finding:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.