Only noise from TDA1541A based Sphinx Project 3 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi DIY-people,
after following some threads, primarily about the CDM swingarm transports it's now time to post my first message because i have a problem with a Sphinx Project 3 D/A converter.

The DAC is based on a silver crown TDA1541A. I used the thing for quite some time and it did it's job in a wonderful way. A few weeks ago i needed to move some stuff and had to uncouple all my gear. I shut down my Teac transport, the Sphinx Dac and all other stuff. After reconnecting everything in the same way as it was before the only thing coming from the Sphinx is a lot of noise. You can hear the music in the background but the noise is really terrible.

Does anybody have any tips to get me started with this?

Thanks in advice for your help,

Lucas Unger

Dear Paul,
first of all, thanks for your help! I checked the connections tot the small cap over pins 16 and 17 and these are fine. I resoldered them just in case, but it doesn't make a difference.

The results of the measurements on the other pins seem fine. I used pin 5 as the ground for these measurements which according to the spec sheet is the analog ground.

Pin 28: +4,89v
Pin 26: -4,99v
Pin 15: -15,07v

Any other suggestions? Anybody?

Greatings,

Lucas

Here is a picture of the internals of the thing. The chip in the blue rectangle is the TDA1541A, the cap in the red circle seems to need to be replaced. The top isn't flat as it should be.

Greetings,

Lucas

Attachments

• sphinx_pj3_overviewsmall.jpg
    sphinx_pj3_overviewsmall.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 492
A few days ago i replaced the cap which connects pins 16 and 17 on the TDA chip. This didn't help unfortunately. Luckily i just received a fresh Panasonic FC to replace the cap with the bulb on top and that dit the job! Thanks for your help.

I'm thinking about replacing al the caps with Panasonic FC's. Is this a good idea or should i stick with the old caps?

Greetings,

Lucas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.