Power line noise and USB audio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2006, 02:14 PM   #1
jmar is offline jmar  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Power line noise and USB audio

I have a PCM2902 that is using it's own power supply...nicely built on a PCB...works great except that if a glitch is imposed on the power line through something healthy like a refrigerator or a flourescent fixture on/off, it will disable.

If I go to device manager, I won't see "USB audio device" and the USB composite will show an exclamation mark of not installed.

If I reboot.....everything is fine until another AC glitch.... and it happens again.

I have the power supply filtered well on the LM317 input and output but still having problems.

Both jet audio and media player have been used.

Has this been a problem for anyone else?
Old 30th May 2006, 03:40 PM   #2
jahonen is offline jahonen  Finland
diyAudio Member

Does it the same when the audio is not connected, i.e. the USB cable is the only one connected? Try disconnecting the cables to find out which one is the interference source. For power, try using USB-power or just ordinary battery.

Problem is most likely common mode interference, it still remains regardless how much conventional (differential mode) filtering you apply.

Regards,
Janne
Old 30th May 2006, 04:22 PM   #3
pburke is offline pburke  Germany
diyAudio Member

just a guess: the problem may be the computer's power supply dropping out at that point. Power on the USB bus is required to sense the devices on the built-in ports

try the computer on a big UPS - not a bad thing to get anyway. There are tons of cheap units on ebay that'll do the job for these brownout moments

Peter
Old 31st May 2006, 12:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have the unit self powered, so I have the USB power line completely disconnected....(pin 1 on USB connector does not see pin 3 on the PCM2902).

Pin 1 isn't connected at all.

I was concerned about this at one point but thought it wasn't a problem?
Old 31st May 2006, 02:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Also....

It only has this problem with the PCM2902 interface.

If I switch back to my sound card, it won't react to a glitch.

Sometimes I have to reboot, but lately, if I turn on/off the flourescent fixture (which is on the same circuit)....it will just stop the song.

I can hit play again and it will function but it always takes the windows volume control down about 50%.

It will do this wih both Jet audio and media player.

I'm going to try some more noise suppresion but sure would like some clues on this.

Thanks.
Old 31st May 2006, 02:26 PM   #6
jahonen is offline jahonen  Finland
diyAudio Member

Like I said, try to determine the coupling path of the interference (which disrupts USB-line communications). Does unplugging of the audio output cable (i.e. disconnecting the output cable and then playing music and experimenting with the light switch) entirely have any effect?

If you experiment with the filter, I suggest that you'll add some common mode filtering, unlikely the differential mode interference is the problem.

Regards,
Janne
Old 31st May 2006, 02:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

just a guess -- the Codec demands 50 to 60 ma -- if you are using a 1,000uF storage cap on the LM317 it will discharge to less than 3.3V (from 5.0V) in 30 milliseconds or so --

i can knock out the device manager for my data-acquisition cards if i overload the current -- won't recognize the device until a hard reboot.
Old 31st May 2006, 02:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'll be damn....if I disconnect the RCA's from the board it won't do it.

I have an AD823 opamp on the output of the PCM2902.

Now that I look at this board closer, I forgot to add some filtering components I had made room for on the board....a 470pf across the output and a 100k for impedance setting.

OOPS.....maybe that will clear it up....I'll let you know.
Old 31st May 2006, 03:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well....no change, but definetly it's getting back to the computer through the receiver RCA jacks.

I have 470pf caps across each output but no change....also added the 10 ohm resistor between digital and analog grounds (which I had left out).

No hum at all in the thing....dead quiet....did have a ground loop that I cured initially.

Still acting up though...in fact now, not only will it stop the song when I hit the light switch but it will start it again if I turn it back on.

???
Old 31st May 2006, 09:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Jacjinnj....

I don't have a problem unless these RCA cables are connected to the amplifier.

So that eliminates any power supply problem.

I think somehow the data (D- and D+) is being corrupted by the induced noise....what is wierd is that it that the audio will actually turn on again if I play with the light switch enough.

How can any of this be a power supply problem?

Would a flourescent switch actually cause line voltage sag?

Perhaps there is a grounding design flaw on the PCB but I sure don't "hear it".

Hide this!Advertise here!