Prototyping with SMD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to begin prototyping a DAC, which will obviously have many SMD components. I think all the IC's and op amps can be put on DIP adapters, so those should be easy. The component I'm wondering about is the XO. For the actual PCB, I will most likely use a SMD chip. Is it o.k. to prototype using a pin- and voltage-compatible DIP chip, and then design the PCB using SMD components? I've been told the high frequency of the crystal (24.576 MHz) can be a problem during prototyping. I suppose many of you have a lot of experience with the general problem of prototyping SMD components. Can I get some recommendations? Also, while we're at it, are there any preferences for breadboards, protoboards, etc.? Thanks, in advance.

Goto DigiKey dot com and enter "surf board". That will give you some ideas. The socket adapters are OK... but could give you some problems as pointed out above.

In general. you can use through hole equivalents for prototyping. There are exceptions though and you'll only find them the hard way. Speed (frequency) would probably be the biggest factor... more speed... more problems.

Vector boards, described as "3 pads per hole with power & ground" work well for me... and I've dome some real fast one-off circuits with those. I think your 25 mHz, with through-holes would be fine... just keep things tight and tidy.

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.