Super Regulator for DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
related question - I've been looking for a super regulator kit/PCB that would provide +8.5V at about 0.8A. Input would be 12-13V SLA battery. Could one of Peer's boards like the JSR01 be used for that?

I've read most of the info out there and rarely ever is there a note about the maxiumum recommended current draw on these things. Whenever I did see current info, it seemed way too low for my needs.

Peter

peranders said:
The regulator you mention has SMT parts so max current is around 100 mA but the holemounted ones can handle more and 800 mA for sure.

JSR-03 sounds interesting, but the requirement to have 4V more than output voltage at the input side causes a problem for me, since I want to use 12V SLA batteries.

Looks like I need to find me a 24V battery auto charger first before I can consider this design and simply use two SLA batteries in parallel. I'll do some more reading before I make up my mind, plus I gotta get a few other projects squared away first :)

Peter

The idea is to try it on a DDDAC custom build (about my 5th generation) - there's not much left to tweak but the supply to the stack of DAC chips, where I am currently using a LM1085 with acouple of Blackgate N's and a trimpot to get to 8.5V. Since there's no opamps or tubes behind the DAC output, I guess the power that you feed the DAC is more or less what you're listening to. My logic sez - better regulator = better sound, but maybe I am looking at this from a much too simplistic angle.

In the past I've had real good success improving the sound of the DAC by replacing TL431 regulators for clock and receiver chips with dedicated supplies based on Guide Tent's 5V clock supply circuit, but for the DAC tower I need something that can deliver more current.

I don't expect miracles - the DAC is already way over the top compared to anything I have been able to compare it to, but I'm always looking for that little extra that nobody else has tried yet. I doubt anyone has run a DDDAC off a super regulator before, at least I haven't see anyone report on that.

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.