Mini disc - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2006, 09:47 PM   #1
baggins is offline baggins  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Mini disc

I am considering buying a minidisc deck (for convenient audio recording of material I have on phillips cassettes - I am not fond of cassettes mechanical abilities.

Out of interest how does the distortion introduced by the Atrac compression manifest itself compared to a CD?
Old 15th May 2006, 10:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Out of interest how does the distortion introduced by the Atrac compression manifest itself compared to a CD
Minidisc is not bad at all...ATRAC 3.5 is pretty advanced and much better I believe than say 192kHz sampled MP3. Most people can't hear the difference between the above sample rated MP3 and a CD. The difference between minidisc and cd is smaller and I suppose can only be heard in a good system with "golden eared" audiofreaks.
Old 15th May 2006, 10:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bas ,

I was hoping that might be the answer .It wouldnt have stopped me buying one anyway because most of the source material I want to " rescue" is on phillips cassette and not of fantastic quality but is
not replaceable .I just thought I might also make convenience
backup copies of some of my favourite cd's and wondered if they would be very different . I,m 58 anyway so my golden ears days if I ever had any are over !
Old 15th May 2006, 10:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

When I had Mission 760 speakers I could not reliably tell the difference..(I don't know even if I could today.... Unfortunately my minidisc player gave up...so I can't do the comparison with the stuff I've got these days.
Old 15th May 2006, 11:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bas Horneman

The difference between minidisc and cd is smaller and I suppose can only be heard in a good system with "golden eared" audiofreaks.

Not if you listen to Orbital or Kraftwerk. Minidisc can't cope with electronic music. It significantly alters the tonal balance to extent that some sounds disappear altogether.
Old 15th May 2006, 11:08 PM   #6
nyatt is offline nyatt  United States
diyAudio Member

The newer Hi Md format will record 16bit 44.1khz (full cd resolution). you can pick up a sony portable unit for ~$400.
Old 15th May 2006, 11:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nyatt,

I was considering the ordinary 80 minute md deck something like a sony cmt-md1 or the sharp md-mx10 are these decks very inferior to the later hi-md ?
Old 15th May 2006, 11:50 PM   #8
nyatt is offline nyatt  United States
diyAudio Member

I have played with the normal minidiscs, but these new hi-md's are quite a bit better sounding (again, full cd resolution!). I haven't seen any home units, but I would imagine Sony makes a few. Makes for a nice tiny portable.
Old 19th May 2006, 12:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Since I last posted I have acquired a sharp md-mx10 off EBAY for 60+ (I chose it because it fits my shelving under stairs) and i am very pleased with it so far. I am only using it as a deck ( ignoring the speakers and the built in power stages) to drive into the Leak 2000 receiver . It has phonos in for AUX, but for now I will have to use the h/phone out socket . Should I pad this with a resistor ? it seems to drive the Leak O.K. as is. Presumably low impedance into high impedance is O.K.?

Hide this!Advertise here!