Upgrades to my Rotel RCD-930AX CD Player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2002, 01:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Drew
Default Upgrades to my Rotel RCD-930AX CD Player

I'm wondering what kind of OpAmp I can put into my Rotel RCD-930 CD Player to make it sound alot better? I'm new to tweaking and I know nothing about electronic parts - I just have a friend that can install the stuff more me. I recently just brownbreaded the transport and the chasis as well as the case, including the power supply to help reduce jitter and vibrations. Is there anything else that I can do that is easy and inexpensive?

Drew
Old 24th November 2002, 01:26 AM   #2
Wombat is offline Wombat  Germany
diyAudio Member

At first you have to know what OP-amps are in.
Then you can think about an exchange with better parts.

You can´t generalize the results to expect cause most OPs sound different to the better or worse when dropped into existing designs.

Wombat
Old 24th November 2002, 01:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Smile Rotel RCD 930 CD Player Help

Hello All,

Does anybody know which op-amp is in this cd player? I do not have the schematic.

Also can anyone suggest any links to general CD Player DIY upgrades for the novice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

KevinLee
Old 24th November 2002, 01:51 AM   #4
skaara is offline skaara  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Open it and look
Old 24th November 2002, 02:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Op amp upgrade

Be careful, otherwise you may end up doing more bad than good.
There's more to switching op amps than just pulling the op amp and replacing it. Just as an example, some op amps have much better PSRR/CMRR than others. Switching to an ultra high performance op amp while having a power supply that's too noisy for it will not do good things.

First, you should understand what's "wrong" with the sound coming out right now. When you say "better", what specifically are you looking to "better" about the sound?

If you're going to modify a device in pursuit of something, be scientific and methodical about it, you won't be disappointed.
Old 24th November 2002, 06:47 PM   #6
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default TLO72 I think

I have looked inside a RCD930 some time ago, I was somewhat dissapointed. Really looked like a basic sony kit in a rotel box. I have alot of respect for most of their other units bar the RCD940 that used a quirky transport.
If memory serves than it used TLO72 op amps. Even NE5532 tend to sound way better than these. I remember the sound as thin, 5532 would definately help I think and it is not such a fussy op amp in terms of PSU requirements.
Old 25th November 2002, 08:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Drew
Thanks for the reply guys. I guess I should have checked to see which Op-Amp I had before I asked the question. I'll have to pull the brownbread damping material off it to check. I know this unit uses a Sony Transport, alot of manufactures use Sony Transports. The sound is pretty rich but would like a fuller sound with a wider deeper sound stage.
Old 25th November 2002, 08:35 PM   #8
Wombat is offline Wombat  Germany
diyAudio Member

hmm... when you want a "fuller" sound you seem to be a candidate for the Burr Brown types - although i don´t know your actual OPs i´d suggest an OPA2134, the OPA2604 sounds even drunken to my taste in my enviroment.

Wombat
Old 1st July 2008, 12:06 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The Rcd930ax use the TL072CP

Hide this!Advertise here!