Mission DAC5 (DAC7 chipset)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Just looked inside the Mission DAC5 (I wanted to try the DAC7 chipset so I bought one)

-looks like separate analogue and digital power supply (torroidal tx)
-tda1547 dac fed by SAA7350
-one saa7323 used as a digital filter
-standard Yamaha input receiver
-2X AD811 , and 2X NE5534 op amps
-Wima caps used throughout
-looks like high quality pcbs

The dac has quite a nice smooth sound with good bass.

Few years ago I modified DPA DAC with exactly the same chipset / receiver chip with great results. LC XO2 with dedicated power supply / transformer and Black Gates...It had discrete analog stage boards as add-ons boards - permanently soldered to the main PCB. The result was excellent.

I had put together little reminder of what I did - for the guy who own the DAC. Sorry for a huge jpg compression.

Extreme_Boky

Attachments

• mods.jpg
    mods.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,399
aparatusonitus said:
Of course you are, otherwise you wouldn't post here:devilr:
Maybe you want to bypase those internal opamps in TDA1547 and use someting different, and put same W. Jung SupeRegulators in analog section.

Sorry I edited the post. Too small to put the extra op amps inside I think.

rfbrw said:
What size is it ? The dac5 I have is a small thing with the SM5840, DAC7 chipset and the LT1122.

It is really tiny see attached pic. Serial number C6137xx.

Attachments

• dac5.jpg
    dac5.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,073
rfbrw said:
Seems mine is an earlier incarnation with SAA7323 not SM5840. Still junk though.

1. The plastic front fell off yesterday. :)

2. My DAC5 was fixed up incorrectly so the transformer was upside down.

3. When repaired (due to note 2) numerous cap's had been bent / squashed.

4. Also the digital input has been replaced (I guess the original connector was tight, and not screwed to the chassis)

Extreme_Boky why did you put a clock in the DPA dac ?

Did you feed it back to the transport ?

I have a DPA pdm1 series 2dac with discrete SMT op amp boards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.