Philips CDM12.10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2006, 06:14 PM   #1
dsmkwan is offline dsmkwan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Philips CDM12.10

How can I buy the above transport on the market? Please advise.
Old 9th May 2006, 06:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

dsmkwan, I too need one of these transports, or at least parts for one. At least, this is the one I think I need. I have a Proceed PDT3, which uses (according to Harman Design Group) a CDM12-1 transport. Would love to be able to track one down.
Old 9th May 2006, 10:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The VAM1201 is a direct replacement for the old CDM12.1 The CDM-12.1 is no longer manufactured. BTW alot of the different VAM units (if not all???) share the same transport parts but have different laser units.
Hope this helps your search.
Old 9th May 2006, 11:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonusthree
The VAM1201 is a direct replacement for the old CDM12.1 The CDM-12.1 is no longer manufactured. BTW alot of the different VAM units (if not all???) share the same transport parts but have different laser units.
Hope this helps your search.
Sonusthree, who makes the VAM1201? I have a parts list for my PDT3, but it's not clear to me how many part numbers make up the "transport". For this series, are there usually separate part numbers for the "transport", laser assembly, and sled? Is the sled and the transport the same thing? I'm not sure how many parts make up, I guess, the total transport subassembly.

Would high end manufacturers like Madrigal have used the CDM12.1 mechanism with a "higher end" laser assembly?
Old 10th May 2006, 12:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Proceed. Philips make (or license) the Vam 1201 and CDM12.1. Very simply speaking the entire mechanical aspect of a CD player can be split into a few parts.
The laser assembly is purely the laser itself that slides along and is moved by....
The transport which includes motors, gears and switches that move the laser and spin the disc.
The drawer and it's motor and the larger supporting outer structure are seperate items that are generally less commonly found as new parts. Often these items are custom made to fit a particular manufacturers needs.
Quote:
Would high end manufacturers like Madrigal have used the CDM12.1 mechanism with a "higher end" laser assembly?
If true it is perhaps more likely to be the other way around i.e. the laser would be original and other parts upgraded.

Do you have details of the problem and which part(s) you are looking to replace? Posting a picture of the transport mech would be a big help I think.
Sorry if I have missed anything but it's very late here.
Old 10th May 2006, 12:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonusthree
Do you have details of the problem and which part(s) you are looking to replace? Posting a picture of the transport mech would be a big help I think.
Sorry if I have missed anything but it's very late here.
I want to thank you for getting back to me at your late hour. I have not yet pulled the cover off my transport, but was planning to do so for some pictures. The problem is that sometimes when the drawer closes after a disk has been loaded, I will hear a sort of click and the disk will not have initialized. The sound is almost like some mechanical part was supposed to "drop into place" but did not, and the resultant disk initialization either doesn't occur or did not complete successfully. Opening and reclosing the drawer (so far) has always fixed this problem. It does not happen often, but is obviously something that should not be happening at all.

I'll understand if I don't hear back until tomorrow!
Old 10th May 2006, 12:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...ct_id=32-18255
Old 10th May 2006, 01:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks Brian and everyome else, but Im screwed. My transport is the CDM1.2, NOT the CDM12.1. I don't think I'm going to find this one anywhere.
Old 10th May 2006, 01:26 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default D'oh

I am sorry for your loss
Seriously though there are plenty of enthusiasts of that transport around here who may offer some, at least, temporary maintenance solutions. Here's just one example ; Marantz CD74 skipping towards end of cd
I recommend a repost with the correct transport in the title.
Good Luck and good night!
Old 10th May 2006, 02:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Once again thanks! I'm off to start a new thread!

Hide this!Advertise here!