Philips CDM12.10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sonusthree said:
The VAM1201 is a direct replacement for the old CDM12.1 The CDM-12.1 is no longer manufactured. BTW alot of the different VAM units (if not all???) share the same transport parts but have different laser units.
Hope this helps your search.

Sonusthree, who makes the VAM1201? I have a parts list for my PDT3, but it's not clear to me how many part numbers make up the "transport". For this series, are there usually separate part numbers for the "transport", laser assembly, and sled? Is the sled and the transport the same thing? I'm not sure how many parts make up, I guess, the total transport subassembly.

Would high end manufacturers like Madrigal have used the CDM12.1 mechanism with a "higher end" laser assembly?

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Proceed. Philips make (or license) the Vam 1201 and CDM12.1. Very simply speaking the entire mechanical aspect of a CD player can be split into a few parts.
The laser assembly is purely the laser itself that slides along and is moved by....
The transport which includes motors, gears and switches that move the laser and spin the disc.
The drawer and it's motor and the larger supporting outer structure are seperate items that are generally less commonly found as new parts. Often these items are custom made to fit a particular manufacturers needs.
Would high end manufacturers like Madrigal have used the CDM12.1 mechanism with a "higher end" laser assembly?
If true it is perhaps more likely to be the other way around i.e. the laser would be original and other parts upgraded.

Do you have details of the problem and which part(s) you are looking to replace? Posting a picture of the transport mech would be a big help I think.
Sorry if I have missed anything but it's very late here. :yawn:

Sonusthree said:
Do you have details of the problem and which part(s) you are looking to replace? Posting a picture of the transport mech would be a big help I think.
Sorry if I have missed anything but it's very late here. :yawn:

I want to thank you for getting back to me at your late hour. I have not yet pulled the cover off my transport, but was planning to do so for some pictures. The problem is that sometimes when the drawer closes after a disk has been loaded, I will hear a sort of click and the disk will not have initialized. The sound is almost like some mechanical part was supposed to "drop into place" but did not, and the resultant disk initialization either doesn't occur or did not complete successfully. Opening and reclosing the drawer (so far) has always fixed this problem. It does not happen often, but is obviously something that should not be happening at all.

I'll understand if I don't hear back until tomorrow! :)

CDM VAMoose !!!

I'm not sure why the CDM12.x were changed for VAM 120X. I've heard accounts of the VAM designated units being able to play CDRW where the old CDM could not.
I should also say that I'm only a humble DIY'er and my knowledge has been largely found through lurking on these forums.
I believe that the CDM 12.1 and 12.10 are one and the same.
My current player had a CDM 12.1 that I changed for (several) VAM1202 and I still can't play CDRW. :confused:

Whilst trawling the web in the past I've found stories that the CDM's were less reliable than the VAM's but also accounts that the opposite is true. :xeye:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76527

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.