Cambridge Audio DAC-3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2006, 12:51 PM   #1
niiico is offline niiico  France
diyAudio Member

Default Cambridge Audio DAC-3

Hi,

I'm using a Cambridge Audio DAC-3 since a long time (and I'm very happy with it, as well as my Theta Pearl which is connected to it) and I've looked for information about it on the web and here and I could only find information about Dacmagic 1 or 2.

Can anyone tell me what are the differences between the Dacmagic 2 and my DAC-3?

Thanks,

--
Niiico
Old 5th May 2006, 05:27 PM   #2
TomasF is offline TomasF  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Some (but not too much) info available at the left on this page

http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/dac2.htm

BR Tomas F.
Old 5th May 2006, 09:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks...

But this is mostly about dac-2, not dac-3. I've found almost nothing about the DAC-3.

All that I can say is that the capacitors look different in my DAC-3 compared to the ones in DAC-2 I've seen on some sites.
Old 9th May 2006, 07:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to carl.stock
Hi, niiico.

Try asking John Westlake (JohnW) on here. I know he designed the DACMagic 1, 2, 2i, 2 Mk2, but I honestly do not know if he designed the DAC 3.

Also, I believe there was another DAC 3 (which had a large volume-type control on it, not the small switch to select from the three sources) that was designed before Cambridge Audio was taken over by Audio Partnership. That would be before 1994/95, but the DACMagic series designed by John Westlake were designed from 1994/95 onwards.

I have a DACMagic 1 and a DACMagic 2 Mk2.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Carl
Old 10th May 2006, 09:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your answer.

My DAC 3 is the one with the small selector.

On the board, I've read that it is a DACMagic 2 Mk2. Can't say if DAC 3 is the name for the european market or if the dac 3 is just a minor evolution over the DACMagic 2 Mk2.
Old 14th January 2013, 03:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niiico View Post
Thank you for your answer.

My DAC 3 is the one with the small selector.

On the board, I've read that it is a DACMagic 2 Mk2. Can't say if DAC 3 is the name for the european market or if the dac 3 is just a minor evolution over the DACMagic 2 Mk2.
Come on John.we are all confused,My Dac 3 has a damagic 11 Rev 1 board,I would really like to no if this is an improved dac 11 mk 11 or a dac 2i or a dac 2 or what it is,???
Old 14th January 2013, 05:58 AM   #7
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think you have answered your own question. If it helps, I seem to remember that the last version of the Cambridge 2i was called a 3. If the PCB says "DacmagicII rev1" then that is what it is
Old 14th January 2013, 09:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
I think you have answered your own question. If it helps, I seem to remember that the last version of the Cambridge 2i was called a 3. If the PCB says "DacmagicII rev1" then that is what it is
no i dont think iv answered my own question,just becouse the board says 11 rev 1 means its more confusing,Maybe the letter 3 was added for some market however with no actual information on the net other than and the dac 3 was the last of the line,one can only be speculative as to weather its a 2i or? i dont see rev 1 on any other board which could support your thoughts on the dac 3,but with no evadance and others asking the same question i really hope john reads this and puts us out of our misery,Also with the lack of info on the dac 3 some of us would like schmatics ex ex.I am currenty having the dac worked on with some new bits and would like more knollage of the dac.Im also looking for a board for my diskmagic 1.it got a large overdose of power,now the prosessor has died.so if there is one out there or an alternative im looking,cheer
Old 14th January 2013, 10:12 AM   #9
pilli is offline pilli  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niiico View Post
I'm using a Cambridge Audio DAC-3 ...
...I've looked for information about it on the web
What kind of information do you need?

On these machines, since you have one at hand, it's not too difficult to trace the schematic following the circuit.

(I have the "other" DAC-3, with the volume control and four TDA1541. That has been discussed, for example, in this thread, where you also find pictures of the inside.)

-
Old 14th January 2013, 07:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Phil.just had an email from the tech,he has it under control.We are sorting out a we problem with the Dac 3 puting out 2.8 RMS and the marantz 5500 in not handling it,also changing op amps and some caps.other than that im looking for a pcp board for an old Discmagic CD 1 Transport.as the processor and other transitters are fried.
cheers
colin

Hide this!Advertise here!