CD63 display problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made some mods to the power section of my CD63KIS at the weekend.

As I'm an idiot I put +12v and -12v voltage regs in with wrong orientation.

I corrected this but now I have no display and the control panel buttons (and rc) don't work. I am getting audio output though.

I've traced the power lines and seem to be getting power through the ribbon cable to the display.

Anyone got any ideas where to look next? Is it possible I've fried a component somewhere?

:eek: :bawling:

Chivvyp said:
I made some mods to the power section of my CD63KIS at the weekend.

As I'm an idiot I put +12v and -12v voltage regs in with wrong orientation.

I corrected this but now I have no display and the control panel buttons (and rc) don't work. I am getting audio output though.

I've traced the power lines and seem to be getting power through the ribbon cable to the display.

Anyone got any ideas where to look next? Is it possible I've fried a component somewhere?

:eek: :bawling:

Since you have audio, you do not have a problem with the +-12v supply. [ The +-12v supply is audio only ]

First place to start is the VFTD supply at Q851, [close to the transformer] the voltage on its pins, to ground, should be-31.5v, -24.4v, and -6.8v.

Next, check the voltage either side of resistor, RF01. This is next to the big chip by the display. Voltage to ground should be +5v both ends.

Andy

Andy,

I checked Q851, viewing from front, l > r I got -6.9, -34.4, -24.6.

RF01 I got +5 going in but 0 coming out. Guess this may be the problem. I'll replace it at the weekend and see what happens. Or are there other things I should check first?

Not sure how this would have been affected by the changes that I made but maybe it was just coincidence?

Thanks for your advice.

Pete

Chivvyp said:
Andy,

I checked Q851, viewing from front, l > r I got -6.9, -34.4, -24.6.

RF01 I got +5 going in but 0 coming out. Guess this may be the problem. I'll replace it at the weekend and see what happens. Or are there other things I should check first?

Not sure how this would have been affected by the changes that I made but maybe it was just coincidence?

Thanks for your advice.

Pete

The readings round the regulator are OK.

RF01 is the 'safety' resistor feeding the +5v to QF01, the uP.
This should not have been damaged by the 12v supply problem !!

Check for solder splash or other foreign bodies from your previous soldering.

Andy

Chivvyp said:
Thanks Andy, will do.

Any idea where I can get a suitable resistor for RF01. I checked on Maplins site but the only 4.7 resistor I could find was rated 0.6w rather than 0.25.

Regards

Pete

Hi.

Half watt will do. Definately not a short in case there are problems as you said.

RD01 and RD04 near the opamps are also 4.7ohm. [ you could short here as no problems.]

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.