plextor px-premium

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since nobody has answered, yes, from my experience Plextor is that good.

I must add that I was a bit disappointed when I opened up a new Plextor DVD R/W. The mecanics is identical to that of low-price Samsung drives.

If you are going to use it as a CDM, I think the Plextor is overkill. I would think a €20 Samsung drive will be more than enough. If it's good enough for Meridian, it should be good enough for you.

It is great

For CD ripping, there is no alternative IMVHO. I use the Plextor Premium CD Burner and am very happy with it.

The only problem that you will find is that badly scratched CD's never complete - the drive retries and keeps retrying. That is because the drive is able to understand that there are reading problems. All other drives I have tried have simply accepted the bad audio data and provided it to me with pops and clicks without any warning.

Highly recommended. I just realized that they have restarted selling them in my location. I have 2 myself (for backup) so that extra investment might not have been worth it, but with this level of quality you won't hear me complain.

BTW the rip method I use is as follows:
Set audio rip speed to 4X CLV using the bundled Plextools.
Rip using your favourite ripper - I use Media Player to WMA Lossless. I don't use the Plextor ripper since it is inconvenient, but it is likely that this ripper can produce better results against damaged CD's since it knows something about the drive.

Petter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.