Modded Marantz CD53 - okay ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2006, 08:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Modded Marantz CD53 - okay ?

Hy guys,

I just bought this Marantz CD53 CD-Player from ebay, what do you think about the Mods the previous owner realised in this unit ?

Here is the german ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

And a few Photos:

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks !
Old 30th April 2006, 10:46 PM   #2
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Default Re: Modded Marantz CD53 - okay ?

Quote:
Originally posted by ciorbarece
Hy guys,

I just bought this Marantz CD53 CD-Player from ebay, what do you think about the Mods the previous owner realised in this unit ?

Here is the german ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

And a few Photos:

Thanks !
Hi.

I've seen these on Ebay.

The mods are fairly standard.
More mods can be done.
Check this thread - The CD53 is a CD63 without the HDAM modules but it is thought better to remove the HDAM when the opamps etc have been upgraded.

Good luck !

Andy
Old 30th April 2006, 11:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately many people here in germany especially in the hifi-forum.de regard the player as crap.

I've been a little bit unsure about my marantz, as i listened to it compared to a Sony X202 ES. The Sony definitively sounds brighter and it seems to me that it reveals more details than the cd53. Still I prefer to listen to my CDs with the marantz as it sounds more pleasant and smooth.

But when at first listening to both CD-Players the Sony seems to sound better, so I've been a little bit disappointed about the Marantz, has anyone made similar experiences ?

Meanwhile I prefer Marantz.

Unfortunately I'm no expert in soldering so I decided to buy a modded cdplayer, but I will exchange the included opamps OP627 with OP275, I've already ordered pairs of OP275, OP2134 and OP2604 and I'm looking forward to test these. Although I am very well aware that the OP627 are regarded as some ob the best opamps, the price also speaks for itself.

Has anyone benn able to compare OP627 and OP275 in a Marantz CD Player.

And should I let the opamps burn in after placing them in ?

Does anybody think that any of the mods are crappy ? I've been told that the wiring to the bunch of blue capacitors on the right side in the picture is bad

Feel free to criticise the mods !

But unlike in the hifi-forum.de fell also free to tell me if some mods have been realised pretty well.

thanx
Old 1st May 2006, 09:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Hi.

I'll take your points in order.

Quote:
Hi Andy,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately many people here in germany especially in the hifi-forum.de regard the player as cr*p.
The CD43,54,63 use the same basic chassis, cdm, main board and transformer. The major changes are the use of the HDAM in the '63 and component changes. In other words, Marantz produced the '43 and then did the upgrading for you. IMHO, the '43 is the best version to buy if you are planing to upgrade [ why buy the KI and then rip it apart?] As mentioned in the thread mentioned in post 2, once you have made serious changes, the HDAM is better bypassed [removed] so why have one in the first place. Secondly, the major problem with these players is the power supply - it is very inadequate in all versions including the KI ! So, in a sense, the German forum is correct, in it's basic form, the '43/ '53 is cr*p but it is the best starting point [don't tell them - the price will go up !]

Quote:
I've been a little bit unsure about my marantz, as i listened to it compared to a Sony X202 ES. The Sony definitively sounds brighter and it seems to me that it reveals more details than the cd53. Still I prefer to listen to my CDs with the marantz as it sounds more pleasant and smooth.

But when at first listening to both CD-Players the Sony seems to sound better, so I've been a little bit disappointed about the Marantz, has anyone made similar experiences ?

Meanwhile I prefer Marantz.
Hifi is all about listening....if you like it ...fine !

Quote:
[B]Unfortunately I'm no expert in soldering so I decided to buy a modded cdplayer,[B ]
One of the downsides of DIY audio is that you must be able to solder !! I have recently 'repaired' 2 cd-players which were bought modded. The soldering was appalling and the cause of the problems - 1 was a cdp from a 'well respected' modder ! - the soldering looked like it had been done with piece of scrap iron and some old lead pipe! Buy a soldering iron and practise on an old board for 1 hour and you will be good enough.

Quote:
but I will exchange the included opamps OP627 with OP275, I've already ordered pairs of OP275, OP2134 and OP2604 and I'm looking forward to test these. Although I am very well aware that the OP627 are regarded as some ob the best opamps, the price also speaks for itself.
OPA627 are expensive and possibly not the best for this cd-p. They are the fashion craze of the moment. The AD826 is a good replacement as is the AD8260 or the LM6172. My own preference is the LM6171 as first i/c with a OPA627 (in class A) as the second.

Quote:
Has anyone benn able to compare OP627 and OP275 in a Marantz CD Player.
Go to the thread in post 2 and ask.... I'm sure someone has !

Quote:
And should I let the opamps burn in after placing them in ?
The general concensus is that some burn-in time is required but in most cases some change should be evident immediately.

Quote:
Does anybody think that any of the mods are crappy ? I've been told that the wiring to the bunch of blue capacitors on the right side in the picture is bad
Unfortunately, the photos are not good enough to really see what mods have been made and where! There is nothing wrong with having a capacitor bank remote from where it originally was provided the wiring is well done. Take a look at some of the mods already carried out (see post 2) - these are remote but local decoupling has also been done!

Quote:
Feel free to criticise the mods !

But unlike in the hifi-forum.de fell also free to tell me if some mods have been realised pretty well.

thanx
In general, there is nothing wrong with the mods provided they have been well executed. However, I would say that if it has not already been done, replace the clock! you will be surprised what a difference it makes.

Good luck.

Andy
Old 1st May 2006, 11:21 AM   #5
zanash is offline zanash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Why go to that trouble and then leave the truly poor rca sockets ???

swap these out as a matter of urgency and fit teflon insulated type and wire to the pcb with pure silver.

I can see what diode mods have been done .......if none swap the rectifier for 11dq10's or better

the back sides and top should all be damped too......

make the best interconnects you can too.

clean the fuses and fuse holders !
Old 1st May 2006, 11:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zanash
Why go to that trouble and then leave the truly poor rca sockets ???

swap these out as a matter of urgency and fit teflon insulated type and wire to the pcb with pure silver.

I can see what diode mods have been done .......if none swap the rectifier for 11dq10's or better

the back sides and top should all be damped too......

make the best interconnects you can too.

clean the fuses and fuse holders !
Hi.

The Diodes have been changed and damping applied. [although the damping does not look as if it is optimal]

I had noticed that the phonos were the original. The original Marantz look pretty with gold plating - it's a pity that it does not include the signal connector!
Some replacement phono sockets are too large to fit as a direct replacement and require either a new hole cutting, which can be unsightly, or a small section filing off the board to permit fitting.
Silver wire is all well and good if you can solder [ it requires the use of silver solder rather than tin/lead solder ].

Andy
Old 1st May 2006, 08:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

in the first photo of the player, when u look at the down right side of the picture and below the bunch of capacitors on the right side of the cdplayer, ain't that a clock unit ? I mean the little pcb connected with, obviously speakers cable, with the main pcb.

Seems to me like the original quartz has been removed ? I wonder what else it could be...

What do u guys think ?

Thanks and best regards
Old 1st May 2006, 08:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I mean that little pcb:

So what could that be ?
Old 1st May 2006, 08:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I mean that little pcb:

So what could that be ?
Hi

Looks like it could be a clock..

If it is, it is really too far from the DAC.

It would be interesting to know what it is. Any chance of better photos?? Where does it get power from ?

Andy
Old 1st May 2006, 10:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, I guess it must be a clock, the wiring leads exactly from the position of the clock on the original pcb. Found some pictures of an original cd53 pcb and compared.

Whoa, I guess I must have bought one hell of a player

Me stupid listened to the marantz with cds burned with mp3 files, with these the marantz sounded a little bit shut in, but i believe the cdplayer ist only pretty much revealing !

I bought some original CDs this weekend, with these the marantz sounds just marvelous, a very musical player indeed.

Can't tell you how happy I am by now

Hide this!Advertise here!