Help me set up CS8416 in HW mode - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2006, 12:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help me set up CS8416 in HW mode

Hey, all. As a newbie, I'm asking for your help. I am designing my first DAC, and the first step for me was to figure out how to use CS8416 in hardware mode. My DAC will only have one SPDIF input, so there is no need (I hope) for any fancy switching or anything like that. I've attached a schematic, which was made as much as possible according to the data sheets for CS8416 and various Cirrus eval boards. If I set up the pins correctly, it should be set up to output I2S. I need help with the resistor values (R) for the outputs, because I'm not sure how you are supposed to choose those. If and when I get this part figured out, I will move on to the ASRC (AD1896) next. Please, any advice or help is greatly appreciated. My feelings will not be hurt Also, since I have not had much electronics experience, please let me know how I can improve my schematic, if necessary. If I'm drawing something against conventions, I'd like to know, so I can fix it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf schematic.pdf (13.0 KB, 165 views)
Old 1st May 2006, 04:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Man, I got more responses to my cross-post at the headfi site. I'm surprised nobody had any opinions about my schematic. Since I uploaded that schematic, I found that the resistor values should be 100 Ohms, according to the CS8416 eval board data sheet.
Old 1st May 2006, 06:24 PM   #3
rossl is offline rossl  United States
diyAudio Member

It's probably not a good idea to load the RMCK with a 100 ohm resistor to ground. That is the clock output.
Old 1st May 2006, 07:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks. But what should I do with it, if it's not being used for anything? Should I just use a much higher value resistor, or maybe an RC?
Old 2nd May 2006, 02:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You don't need a resistor, you can let it float.

I you bring it out to a 4.7K resistor, now the load on the clock is less than a milliamp and you also have a nice pad to connect a scope probe to. if you need it later.
Old 2nd May 2006, 03:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rossl
You don't need a resistor, you can let it float.

I you bring it out to a 4.7K resistor, now the load on the clock is less than a milliamp and you also have a nice pad to connect a scope probe to. if you need it later.

So, just to be sure I understand, you're saying it is better to connect RMCK to ground through 4.7K, than to let it float?
Old 2nd May 2006, 11:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

it's not better if you are confident that you don't need to look at it or use it for something.

Hide this!Advertise here!