AW-D3 (PCM2706) problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How is your USB cable connected to the PCB board - through a USB socket? How long was it working before it stopped?

I also have built this kit and it works fine through the PCM2706 internal DAC but no I2S or SPDIF out - also trying to get to the bottom of this

John

Hi.
They forgot to send me an usb connector so I soldered the usb cabel directly to the board. Red - White - Green - Black (right to left). It worked for about a month. Until that point everything was functional the I2S, spdif and the analog out tda1543 section.

Have you tried to power it off external power? - I saw a thread where if you do this you must ensure D+ connects before power is applied - else chip is damaged.

Someone also posted that his sound developed crackles but this was resolved when he retipped all PCM chip pins with soldering iron - must have been a bad solder joint on one chip.

BTW how did the sound of the internal DAC (Headphone output) compare to TDA1543 sound (when it was working)?

Hmm yes I had it powered of external power. If what you say about d+ is correct, I might have fried it :( Is this the pcm2706 chip that might have been damaged ? It makes sense as I mesure 0.5v of the 3.3v points, this indicates that the chip is broken as the internal regulator of the chip is no longer working.

As for sound I did not try the headphone out. But when powering both the usb reciver and the analoge tda1543 of external power it played WERRY good, it gave my EC ECD1 a run for the money.

Yes that's probably the problem - when using external power you need to use a regulator (REG102) with enable pin and connect this to the Vbus power in so when USB connected reg turns on - or you could do this with an and gate.

Are you going to try replacing PCM chip?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.