Just installed VAM1202.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...on my Philips CD753, but the player is dead !
The tray opens but after closure the CD motor doesn't spin and the laser stands still in its position; the display says "READING" but after few minutes the tray opens itself.
I changed the older VAM1201 with replacement VAM1202 because I was receiving focus errors but now I'm stuck !
Where did I go wrong ?
Can you help me please ?

Pierluigi

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
martipie said:
...on my Philips CD753, but the player is dead !
The tray opens but after closure the CD motor doesn't spin and the laser stands still in its position; the display says "READING" but after few minutes the tray opens itself.
I changed the older VAM1201 with replacement VAM1202 because I was receiving focus errors but now I'm stuck !
Where did I go wrong ?
Can you help me please ?

Pierluigi
on some Vams there is on bottom pcb beneath the laser, one soldered bridge (one circular dot cut in two halves)...look it is soldered or not; if yes,then desolder it

Re: Re: Just installed VAM1202.....

choky said:

on some Vams there is on bottom pcb beneath the laser, one soldered bridge (one circular dot cut in two halves)...look it is soldered or not; if yes,then desolder it

THANK YOU Choky,
I read some post about the soldered bridge but couldn't find any....but after you advice I saw better and noticed 3 pins soldered togheter in the back of the laser.
Now all it works and the player is back to life.

Live long and prosper :)

Pierluigi

Hello guys,

Just having the same problem with the VAM 1201 I replaced today on a Philips CD750.

Pierluigi, can you please specify which two pins are soldered together on the back of the laser?

Looking at it, there is only one option, the top two on the left-hand side when looking from back to front, directly to the laser diodes solder pads.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Radko

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Any shorting pads would be arranged to directly short across the laser. If your stuck just post a clear photo of the foil and we should be able to tell from that but it should be straightforward to identify if it has or it hasn't.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I can't clearly make it out but it doesn't look to be in the right location for a shorting link. Usually it would be on the plain foil somewhere... if it indeed has one. All the "similar" CDM12xxx type I have seen haven't got one.

The lens does focus, the up and down movement is present, the spindle works, spins up, but does not read the TOC. And after, it either freezes on READ, or gives ERROR message.

Forgot to say, no shorting link on the ribbon cable.
Just checked in the dark, no light from the laser.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm still not totally convinced on this. You say it spins up. Does it "spin up" with no disc present ? or if you put the disc in upside down ? Use a disc with a dark label for that.

Normally the spindle motor only operates after focus has been found and the fact yours is spinning suggests the laser is lit and the servo is at least finding focus. The light from the laser can be hard to see as its very near the infra red end of the spectrum. You could try looking at the lens through a digital camera to see if anything shows.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.