Extending Philips CDM4 Life??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok pics coming up..i apologize for the poor quality...the only cam i have on hand right now is a webcam...i tried my best :) the model # on this philips machine is "cdd462 cdrom multisession"

first up the label on the transport-

Attachments

• cdm4_55.jpg
    cdm4_55.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,490
CDM4/25 Repair - 33ufd cap issue?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum since purchasing a faulty Micromega F1 Pro which won't read CD's. Everything seems to work OK except the final read.

I've taken it apart to find a CDM4/25 mechanism. Now I'm wondering if replacing the 33ufd cap (as mentioned in this forum) will work bring it to life again. I hope so!

As I'm new to this, can anyone submit a picture showing which cap needs replacing? Or give a description of where it is? I've spotted one blue cap with the markings that looks like a possibility. The marking are:

W6
33u
16v
Philips
030K0 - this could be 039K0

Also, what type should I be using as a replacement?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: CDM4 laser prob

beomuse said:
Hi! I repaired a B&O CD5500 version 2 (CDM4) once with the identical lowering of sampling test voltage after a few minutes. Turned out the 33ufd axial cap in the laser supply servo board was on the way out. After replacement the machine has worked flawlessly for the client with an excellent 50mv center of disc laser sample. This has been 5 years now. I've seen many CDM2 with this identical problem.

Anthony Garza
Beomuse.com

Hello.
I would know,if it's possible, the position of the 33 uF cap.
I think it couid be:
the servo decoder supply are the pin 17 and 18 of TDA8808 for Philips marantz, especially CD40, it's right?
And so the cap could be directly connetted between pin 17, and through a R, to BC388.
So it coul be in front of PCB, just below CDM and close to CHIP philips pcb code 6500.
Could be right?
Ciao
RR

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi! I repaired a B&O CD5500 version 2 (CDM4) once with the identical lowering of sampling test voltage after a few minutes. Turned out the 33ufd axial cap in the laser supply servo board was on the way out. After replacement the machine has worked flawlessly for the client with an excellent 50mv center of disc laser sample. This has been 5 years now. I've seen many CDM2 with this identical problem.

Anthony Garza
Beomuse.com

Thanks for the advice! Helped to cure my Grundig CD8400 :)

Ernst

Hi. This is an old thread but I've just got hold of a Cd5500 at a good price as it was faulty. My first instinct was that the laser was faulty. I checked the laser type, and found that B&O had installed a CMD-4/13, as opposed to the CMD2 or CMD4/11 variant. As chance had it, I had a spare laser and was about to swap them out when I remembered the tip about the servo laser power supply capacitor. I downloaded the schematic from Hi-fi engine, which is a good source for free service manuals . The offending capacitor was identified as 33uF C2103. I clipped it out and replaced it with 100uF cheap'n'nasty. It fired up straight away! I'll replace it tomorrow with a Rubycon, but full marks to Beomuse! One IOU :drink:

I know this is a very old thread but I had to thank you all for the fix on CDM 4 pro. My Krell MD 10R quit reading disks. I actually bought a replacement laser head from Germany and installed. Still didn't work. I was in a panic. Found this site and replaced 33uf 16v cap, and all remaining 21 caps. Works great now. Thank you all so much for posting this. I love my Krell. It is an awesome transport. And now works and sounds like new.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.