Philips CD-101?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CD101 mods

Hi Sushii,

all the caps you have ringed in your piccie are ps decoupling caps for differing voltages to chips. some of these I did replace with smaller values 22uf without sacrificing too much, and perhaps gaining in speed and timing. subtle mod.

the row of caps to dacs are worth replacing. pins 1,13 are 0.47uf.14,18,19 are 100nf and 20,21,23,24,25 are 22nf.subtle mod and space is at a premium.

please try AD827 as replacement for 5532 opamp. see what you think. when you have unsoldered 5532 replace with dil socket to avoid board damage then you can play. not subtle.

also from pin 4 of dacs is ps decoupling cap 47uf and a smd resistor 100R inline with power supply socket point A452(5V). short out. not subtle.

output caps 47uf that you have replaced with 220uf, never did like that mod, always seemed to slow the pace of the music somehow. Try the mod above before making up your mind about this.Of course you could short these out if you are confident of dc into amp/preamp, something I never had the courage to do.

there are some more caps that are de-emph filter components leading from opamps which are both commercial quality and slightly wrong in value. however difficult to advise you of these without schematic and board layout.

whilst the Cd104 is similar, the 104 was a completely different physical layout, that combined a mass of linking wires between boards and IMHO never had the speed or clarity of the earlier players. note IMHO!!!

Have fun.

I have replaced the decoupling cap on pin 4 of TDA1540 with oscon 150uf 16v, the dynamic and headroom have improved alot, also there are more details in the music. Also have tried using blackgate FK 220uf on that location, but other than the low frequency which drops lower than the oscon, most other aspect the oscon are winner...

Also, I have heard that you could turn opamp into class a operation, could anyone explain how to do it on NE5532?

Thanks in advance!

more cd 101 issues

Hi there
I recently been given my Grandfathers old Philips 101.
It had a dreadful buzz and had to be left on for a while before it would play a cd.
I purchased a cap set which I have just installed. The set had 13 caps, I have two 100v 33uf left over, as I didn't know which to replace!
It now works great except that one channel it much quieter than the other.
Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.
Many thanks Ben

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.